Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today, in the midst of F96°+ weather, that the A/C in my 2015 ED blows colder on the passenger side than it does on the driver's. I mean, I can put my hand over the outlet on the dash below the gauges and above the entertainment bezel and definitely feel colder air blowing on the right.

Given that smarts don't have "climate zones" like my Mercedes (at least not to my knowledge), I would guess there's some sort of "gate" that controls the airflow, and it's allowing more to move to the right.

It's not a critical issue. At first I wondered if I was getting cold air only on one side, but cold air comes out both. It's just colder on the passenger side. Is this normal?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I would say that is normal on very hot days. The AC evaporator is on the passenger side of the car. The air only has inches to travel to be expelled out a vent on the passenger side. The air to the driver side travels through a little more duct work which is very hot in the sun on our black dashboards. So the air to the driver side loses some of it's cold traveling through more hot ductwork to get out the vent. The Smart will temper the air as a whole if you run your temp control on 68 or 70. At that setting it will mix the air to keep from freezing you and you will think the AC isn't working well. We are used to the older cars putting out the full amount of cold air at us. Just crank the temp control clear down to it's lowest setting and it will pull full out cold air out the vents to you. The AC system on the Smart is very small. The refrigerant has to travel from the compressor in the back up to the front of the vehicle to the evaporator, so there is some efficiency loss there too. When you shove the gas pedal down to climb that hill the Smart will shut off the AC compressor to allow your engine to give full power to climb that hill. Then when it senses less load on the engine it will turn the compressor back on. So hills could affect your overall cooling. DCO

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is there any way to reprogram the 'pooter to not drop off the compressor under acceleration? I'd rather lose a bit of pep when the outdoor temp is around 120F.

SR

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not the desired outcome.

#1 ...Can a dealer change the point of shutdown?

#2 ...May a dealer change the point of shutdown?

SR
Would you accept reduced battery pack life or even a battery pack that catches fire and explodes as a possible trade off?

It is highly unlikely that programing can hacked to do what you want at the dealership level....

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say that is normal on very hot days. The AC evaporator is on the passenger side of the car. The air only has inches to travel to be expelled out a vent on the passenger side. The air to the driver side travels through a little more duct work which is very hot in the sun on our black dashboards. So the air to the driver side loses some of it's cold traveling through more hot ductwork to get out the vent. The Smart will temper the air as a whole if you run your temp control on 68 or 70. At that setting it will mix the air to keep from freezing you and you will think the AC isn't working well. We are used to the older cars putting out the full amount of cold air at us. Just crank the temp control clear down to it's lowest setting and it will pull full out cold air out the vents to you. The AC system on the Smart is very small. The refrigerant has to travel from the compressor in the back up to the front of the vehicle to the evaporator, so there is some efficiency loss there too. When you shove the gas pedal down to climb that hill the Smart will shut off the AC compressor to allow your engine to give full power to climb that hill. Then when it senses less load on the engine it will turn the compressor back on. So hills could affect your overall cooling. DCO

This makes a lot of sense, DCO. Thanks!

Today the heat index is 108°. Although my car was parked in the shade all day, it took the full six miles' drive home for the cabin to start feeling like the A/C was actually doing something! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Not the desired outcome.

#1 ...Can a dealer change the point of shutdown?

#2 ...May a dealer change the point of shutdown?

SR

The car has a 999cc engine. Running the air conditioning robs power from the crank, and if you're running the air conditioning at the same time as the driver is begging for strong acceleration, what do you expect the car to do? It's going to temporarily (for a few seconds) skip the a/c compressor to free up the crank power for your acceleration request.

If you want the air conditioning to maintain control, your sacrifice is slower acceleration. When you continually push deeper and deeper on the throttle pedal, what you are communicating to the car is that you "need more power" and that's why the car temporarily skips the a/c compressor to free up that power.

I know here in SoCal we're expecting a heatwave that'll bring temps up to 105 to 115, so for smart car drivers on those days it might be best to drive your other car with the 4.6L V8 so the larger engine can more easily run the air conditioning. :nerd:

·
Registered
164 Posts
No .999L engine in my '16. No V8 powered cars in our stable, either.

I understand completely the dynamics of why and how it happens. No more explanation is needed, please.

I'll cook up an electronic workaround and solve it myself. Nerds indeed.

SR

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm now more convinced that ever that my A/C is not functioning properly. Today, despite parking it in the shade all day, I drove my six mile commute home this afternoon in the 93° (F) heat. And while I could feel cool (-er) air blowing out the vents, by the time I got home I was ready to park the vehicle and leave it be. I had the settings (temp and fan) to max. I have an event tonight, and I'm taking my E350, as the A/C in that car works well.

My recollection from last year was that after my smartED was under acceleration, the A/C would kick into "serious" mode. I could even tell that when I came to a stop, it was like it went into "eco" mode, and stopped blowing as strongly. It isn't doing that now.

I downloaded the Introduction to Smart Service available on this site, but other than explaining how the battery and cabin are cooled differently, there wasn't any maintenance or troubleshooting help.

Earlier this year, when the first heat wave hit (April-May time frame), I got no cold air out of it at all, and took it to the dealer where I paid ob$cenely for a "flush and charge." Either they didn't fill it sufficiently, or it's developed a leak. At least that's my diagnosis.

But I'm NOT taking back to the dealer. For starters, they kept it for four days so their only smart ED mechanic could work on it. And I've sworn off this dealer, anyway. I was thinking of going to Advance Auto Parts and asking if it would be possible for me to check and fill (and stop leak) myself. The problem is, I don't know how to do this.

Do you know how scarce YouTube on this are? And I swear, some of the WORST YouTube videos on earth claim to address this. I checked out one where some lanyard or doodad dangling from the rearview mirror blocked the entire video!

So, please help a guy out. I'm this close to putting the smart in the garage (or more likely in front of the house) and going by to my ICE MB.

·
Registered
922 Posts
gewitz, we only had a mid-80's degree day but even after being parked an hour in the sun, it took only a minute or two of A/C on fan position 3 to get the interior cool enough to be comfortable, and afterwards I just ran the fan on position 1 for the rest of the way.

The temp of the air seems pretty similar across all of the dash vents. I can hear the compressor cycling on and off with a muted click, and if I take a sharp and fast stab at the go pedal, it seems to correlate with a click shutting the compressor off. I have to say that we have no complaints about our ED's air conditioning.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts