Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble with their chargepoint cards failing to be detected by the chargepoint chargers?

I got my Smart EV in Dec-2013 and used the chargepoint card successfully several times until Apr-2014. Then, it failed. The charging station would not detect the card. The next 4 replacement cards also failed after a single use, or they were DOA (dead on arrival - never worked).

I keep the chargepoint card in the car, in the little drawer below the radio. Chargepoint customer service suggests that I keep the card on me instead, that perhaps the Smart EV gets too hot. I do agree that the eSmart interior gets much hotter than any other car I have had, when sitting in the sun. So when I receive the next replacement card, I will try keeping it in my wallet instead.

But has anyone else been having this problem?

·
Registered
177 Posts
At the company I work for, we're required always to wear our company photo ID and RFID door key on a lanyard around our neck. I sandwiched the ChargePoint RFID card between the company ID and RFID door key. Since I'm already wearing the lanyard when I park my car at a nearby ChargePoint station each weekday morning, it's convenient to wave my badge in front of the ChargePoint station. Never had any problem with either the ChargePoint card or company RFID door key.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ChargePoint isn't using RFID (that I know of anyway). They're using barcodes. I could see the keytag shrinking if it got to hot, maybe enough to move it out of tolerance. But that sounds like a poor design on their part really.

·
Registered
271 Posts
FWIW, my Chargepoint card is RFID.
I store the big card in my wallet, but the also use the keychain card.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chargepoint cards are RFID:
Get Started - ChargePoint
I attached it to my ED keys and it never failed. You can also download the iphone/andriod app to unlock the chargepoint charger, but of course you need cell phone reception at the location.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine still works but a week after I got it, it began physically splitting in half, like two layers sandwiching the antenna weren't laminated together well enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine still works but a week after I got it, it began physically splitting in half, like two layers sandwiching the antenna weren't laminated together well enough.
I had the same problem with one of my keychain cards. I put a couple of small rings linking the new card to my other keys. That seems to take the stress off the card when in my pocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I registered for 4 cards in Sept. 2013 then received a free card from Smart in the mail. All work so far but don't get much use. I store one in a thin record book in the drawer below the radio and the other on a big keyring full of store cards- in the glove box. None have failed yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A couple weeks ago the level 2 ChargePoint cable was already in use so I used the level 1 option (120 Volts) instead. This requires using the charge cable that comes with my car. The 120V side gets captured under a locking cover so no one can make off with it. Somehow, the RFID reader thought I was using the card belonging to the car parked next to mine. When I came back at the end of the day and waved my card in front of the ChargePoint station to unlock my cable it kept telling me the station was "...already in use". I called their 800 number and, after I convinced them this had really happened (they kept tell me it wasn't possible), it took them half an hour to figure out how to unlock my cable. Since then I've been using a six foot appliance extension cord between the station and my EVSE in case this happens again and padlock my EVSE to the station.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts