Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I noticed some background illumination in my dash stopped working. Specifically, the amber lights behind the climate control and button panel. I checked all the fuses I could think of and it looks okay. I also checked the wired connection to the button panel and it is tightly locked in. I don't really know where to look on the climate control.

They are distinctly different sources of illumination so I'm pretty sure it's not a bulb going out. Also, I'm also pretty sure they are LEDs so there wouldn't really be a bulb to replace, I imagine.

Anybody have any ideas of where to look next? I figure some common connector somwhere must be loose but I don't really know where to poke. (And I don't want to have to take it in since I'm in extended warranty mileage now and that has a copay. hehe)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.

I managed to fix it. I took out the radio and followed all the cables I could find to where they terminated at the AC and button panel. I reseated all of them. The strange thing is that I tested it after doing this and it still didn't work (I think), so I resolved to calling my local Smart Center tomorrow. Well, I put the radio back in and tucked all the wires nicely and then when I drove my car into the garage, I noticed it was working again!

So one of two things happened here. Either reseating the cables fixed it but the sun was too bright to see the illumination, even when I shaded it with my hand, or when I put the radio back in, it bent some loose wire the right way. lol.

Well, either way, it's clear the issue was some cable behind the radio, probably. I'll just keep an eye on it and hope it's not broken and doesn't go out again!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Intermittent connections....

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.

I managed to fix it. I took out the radio and followed all the cables I could find to where they terminated at the AC and button panel. I reseated all of them. The strange thing is that I tested it after doing this and it still didn't work (I think), so I resolved to calling my local Smart Center tomorrow. Well, I put the radio back in and tucked all the wires nicely and then when I drove my car into the garage, I noticed it was working again!

So one of two things happened here. Either reseating the cables fixed it but the sun was too bright to see the illumination, even when I shaded it with my hand, or when I put the radio back in, it bent some loose wire the right way. lol.

Well, either way, it's clear the issue was some cable behind the radio, probably. I'll just keep an eye on it and hope it's not broken and doesn't go out again!
when I find an intermittent connection like this, I use a very tiny amount of dielectric grease on each terminal which will keep oxidation from happening and help improve conductivity. Happy sleuthing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I find an intermittent connection like this, I use a very tiny amount of dielectric grease on each terminal which will keep oxidation from happening and help improve conductivity. Happy sleuthing!
Yea I have a can of Deoxit for just that purpose. If I had any idea which connector it was, I would have sprayed it down. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts