Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It finally happened . . .

From a marketing point of view I never understood why my local smart Center had not put an all-new 453 into their loaner pool? A 451 owner loyal to the smart Center, what an opportunity to upsell them into the next generation 453 smart?

Well it finally happened! Took our MY08 cabrio in for service and much to my surprise they loaned me a MY16 passion coupe stick shift! Note, this 45 mile brand new smart was put into service the day after the ICE announcement - guess they saw it as dead stock walking?

First impression, roomier and all grown up! Closed the door with a solid thud. Interior had a different look and feel, not so Euro but perhaps more Asian (Renault-Nissan Alliance?) with lots of white plastic. Comfortable cloth covered seats with the back rake lever on the outside rather than inside as on the 451. Now I notice where the noise about the dash cup holders comes from - great for communion glasses but NOT the Big Gulps that are standard fare for beyond the "city" commutes in the U.S.

Ignition switch at the steering wheel can be challenging, nothing intuitive guiding you into the proper angle for the switch? Pushed in THE CLUTCH and started up the turbo. Found the transmission gate to be a little notchy but expect that will feel more natural after a few days. Enjoyed the turbo kick and found it to be very responsive. The ride seemed smoother and felt like it had more shock range to absorb those potholes that in the 451 can loosen fillings in your teeth. The turning radius is truly unbelievable - the car can almost turn around in it's own length!

For my morning commute, equipped with my standard issue cup that is at home in either 451 I found nothing accommodating. So with cup between my legs off we went rowing through the gears.

Decided that I wanted to experience the gas tank filling process so stopped to fill up. This meant I had to "park" my cup in the passenger seat. Filling the tank was not unlike that of the 451 (which I normally do using the slowest notch) accept it did seem to shut off earlier. Allowing it to gurgle down for a few seconds I was able to top off in like fashion to the 451 - perhaps this was one that had a functional tank?

Got back in and enamored by the turning radius made a very tight turn leaving the pump only to turn over my cup into the middle of the brand new cloth seat. Fortunately, with quick response was able to clean up the coffee with cream hazmat spill. :eek:

While not sure I like the radio and heat/air controls, it is truly an improved design and feels very stable on the road. As the owner of two 451's could this "loaner" have interested me in moving into a next generation cabrio, yes before last weeks announcement? :shrug:

Oh, and 24 hours later have a totally different opinion of my remapped 451 smartshift tranny. :burnout:

·
Registered
254 Posts
From a marketing point of view I never understood why my local smart Center had not put an all-new 453 into their loaner pool? A 451 owner loyal to the smart Center, what an opportunity to upsell them into the next generation 453 smart?

Well it finally happened! Took our MY08 cabrio in for service and much to my surprise they loaned me a MY16 passion coupe stick shift! Note, this 45 mile brand new smart was put into service the day after the ICE announcement - guess they saw it as dead stock walking?

First impression, roomier and all grown up! Closed the door with a solid thud. Interior had a different look and feel, not so Euro but perhaps more Asian (Renault-Nissan Alliance?) with lots of white plastic. Comfortable cloth covered seats with the back rake lever on the outside rather than inside as on the 451. Now I notice where the noise about the dash cup holders comes from - great for communion glasses but NOT the Big Gulps that are standard fare for beyond the "city" commutes in the U.S.

Ignition switch at the steering wheel can be challenging, nothing intuitive guiding you into the proper angle for the switch? Pushed in THE CLUTCH and started up the turbo. Found the transmission gate to be a little notchy but expect that will feel more natural after a few days. Enjoyed the turbo kick and found it to be very responsive. The ride seemed smoother and felt like it had more shock range to absorb those potholes that in the 451 can loosen fillings in your teeth. The turning radius is truly unbelievable - the car can almost turn around in it's own length!

For my morning commute, equipped with my standard issue cup that is at home in either 451 I found nothing accommodating. So with cup between my legs off we went rowing through the gears.

Decided that I wanted to experience the gas tank filling process so stopped to fill up. This meant I had to "park" my cup in the passenger seat. Filling the tank was not unlike that of the 451 (which I normally do using the slowest notch) accept it did seem to shut off earlier. Allowing it to gurgle down for a few seconds I was able to top off in like fashion to the 451 - perhaps this was one that had a functional tank?

Got back in and enamored by the turning radius made a very tight turn leaving the pump only to turn over my cup into the middle of the brand new cloth seat. Fortunately, with quick response was able to clean up the coffee with cream hazmat spill. :eek:

While not sure I like the radio and heat/air controls, it is truly an improved design and feels very stable on the road. As the owner of two 451's could this "loaner" have interested me in moving into a next generation cabrio, yes before last weeks announcement? :shrug:

Oh, and 24 hours later have a totally different opinion of my remapped 451 smartshift tranny. :burnout:
Had an 08 cab which I sold with 100k+ miles. bought a 17 cab last sept. No comparison between the two.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
You should find a third, larger cupholder between the seats towards the boot (right behind the 12V socket). It's far as heck from perfect, but will hold cups much better than those skinny cupholders on the centre stack.

Come on, join us, the 453s are so fun!!! :)

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
There should be a third, larger cupholder between the seats towards the boot (right behind the 12V socket). It's far as heck from perfect, but will hold cups much better than those skinny cupholders on the centre stack.

Come on, join us, the 453s are so fun!!! :)
If you want that option. You should have bought a Scion IQ, or a Fiat 500. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I meant to say that the 453s do have a third, larger cupholder behind the 12v socket. :)

Well, at least mine has one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts