Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drove me to the doctor, so he could inspect the healing progress on my latest incision from waist to pubis. I was not comfortable and was really frustrated to hear a loud hissssss as we parked in front of the clinic. The right front tire was going flat. A quick look indicated a tire destroyed by a sidewall puncture of some size.
Back in 2007, we had a blowout in the USA and trouble finding a tire, so we soon bought two spare tires and a front rim to keep one of them in a bag behind the seat, along with jack and tools. Of course, I am in no shape to change a tire now, and my wife did not feel up to the task either.
So, after seeing the MD, we called a local shop and they sent a young man with a floor jack. The tire was quickly changed for $150 Pesos (about $12 USD) and we headed home. We picked up the second new tire from our closet and had it put on the other side of the car, in order to have both brand new tires (now a discontinued size) on the front, with the used tire now becoming the spare.
We hope it does not happen again, but we are still good for one more destroyed tire before having to change to a new size in front.
Having a spare is worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
:)Wow... at first reading this I believed the hisssss pertained to the incision.
I trust you are okay.

You may consider looking for two pre-owned larger tires with wheels which match the rears.
This way you won't be concerned too much about getting odd sizes.
The ride improves too ....and you know as we get older we get more fragile.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Glad to read it was just a tire, hope you feel better soon!
Life is so much simpler and cheaper in MX :D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ALSRAC. You are so right. Having two major surgeries and another couple of cardiac stents in 12 months was expensive; but just about what the co-pay alone would have been in the USA.
I am feeling a bit better every day and only have to wear this uncomfortable compression girdle for another 12 days. Then, breathing will also be easier and I can probably dispense with the oxygen.
Getting old is so much fun ...... ! Drop in, anytime you are back in Guadalajara and feel like an afternoon on the malecon at Chapala.
The 450 is limited on how much tire will clear in the front, but I do not think new rims will be needed; at least I hope not. There is not enough clearance for rears on the front.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The 450 is limited on how much tire will clear in the front, but I do not think new rims will be needed; at least I hope not. There is not enough clearance for rears on the front.
I have 195/40R17's on 17x6.5" wheels on the front of my lowered 450 and barely rubs at about 20° turning in each direction. You should be able to go up quite a bit before the tire rubs. They wouldn't rub at all if it was stock height.:wink:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We would stick with 15 inch rims, as low profile tires and rims do not last long in rough driving conditions; especially smart-swallowing potholes in the rainy season. We need all the tire cushioning we can get.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I strongly agree with the 5 tire/rims all the same size and an add-a-spare.

Been doing it myself for 2 years. Really love the feeling of freedom I have when I am on a long trip and hit a big hole or that mysterious "something" in the road.

Currently running 185/55R15 Firehawk tires

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
We would stick with 15 inch rims, as low profile tires and rims do not last long in rough driving conditions; especially smart-swallowing potholes in the rainy season. We need all the tire cushioning we can get.
I realize that. My point is if I can fit that big of a tire on my lowered 450, you should have room enough for a little bigger 15" tire no problem. There is more room than you think.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That was my biggest worry I blew a tire and no one online had one in stock, I had my old ones in the garage so put that on and sold her, 7-10 days for a tire my fiat has one under the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts