Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have browsed through many(possibly all) threads pertaining to p0805 codes and am not quite sure about what is happening to my car.
It was giving me pending code warnings (ultragauge)off and on for months and was a little worried but I never had an issue..then it almost stalled and bucked at a red light and I got the actual code. and the dash engine check light came on. Well crap. Then it was gone again when I restarted later that day. then on then off....for a few more days. Then it happened...driving along fine then high revs and the indicator says nuetral! I swith to manual and try putting it into a gear and nothing...just nuetral and park.
Now I am 100 plus miles from a smart center and luckily have never had need for one so I had it towed to garage that does my usual maintenance and inspections.
MY QUESTION IS... can they deal with what is happening to my car? ...and what IS happening to my car? Or do I actually need to get it to the smart dealer?? thanks so much for retouching on this old subject!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dealer says 800 bucks for parts if need new actuator motor...300 if just needs greased and adjusted...not including tow to get it over 100 miles to closest smart center...ive been reading posts and watching videos and think I can guide my garage guys here to do lubing but obviously no smart computer for updating...how do I know if it was already updated?

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
dealer says 800 bucks for parts if need new actuator motor...300 if just needs greased and adjusted...not including tow to get it over 100 miles to closest smart center...ive been reading posts and watching videos and think I can guide my garage guys here to do lubing but obviously no smart computer for updating...how do I know if it was already updated?

Call a smart dealership. Give them your vin number. Maybe they will be nice enough. To let you know all your software updates on your vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
printed out pics and instructions for mechanics at local garage they seem pleased to have a direction to go in. Of course it is due for state inspection and needs new tires. Merry Christmas to me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Should be no problem for your local independent mechanic. Some members have assured us, that smart is just another small car that any mechanic can work on? OK.
I'm guessing most independent don't have the "Star Diagnostic System" which is handy to have, if needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
star diagnostic system....I have heard of this and assumed it was a smart specific computer diagnostic only at smart centers...Am I to understand other garages may have this system as well?

·
Registered
935 Posts
star diagnostic system....I have heard of this and assumed it was a smart specific computer diagnostic only at smart centers...Am I to understand other garages may have this system as well?
The Star Diagnostic System is proprietary to Mercedes Benz, I'm guessing with smart Diagnostic software installed.
There are "Star" clones out there, your mechanic may or may not have one.
I may be wrong, but I have read on this forum, that not all Mercedes Benz dealers have access to ordering smart parts. As I said I'm not entirely clear about this.
So far I have Fletcher Jones Imports a MB dealer 6 miles away that sold smart cars. They decided it wasn't worth selling only the smart EV, they quit selling new smarts, but still service them for now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, our local mercedes dealer wont even speak to me or bother to be civil when they hear "smart" even when I know the MB codes for the parts...all I get is go to smart center. Which is also a mercedes dealer and they are quite nice...although many many miles away

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
A Mercedes dealer that never was a Smart dealer cannot order Smart specific parts. If the part is the same for some Mercedes model as it is for the Smart (like the desiccant cartridge), then they can order it for you. Otherwise you must go to a current or former Smart dealership.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 13,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 2,500 miles

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it is the clutch actuator, there are several new & used ones on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sachs-Clut...ortwo-all-models-451-2007-2014MY/252858466358

Here is another reference for the replacement and adjustment procedure.
https://www.zf.com/global/media/med.../SI_SX_Kupplungsaktuator_451_454_11988_EN.pdf

The clutch actuator is an easy driveway replacement. I think if you do the initial 3-graduation adjustment it should be driveable. I can point you to a euro-car shop in the Harrisburg area with a MB Star system for the clutch adjustment - they activated my fog lights several years ago with it.

~toaster

P.S. I like your color combination! I wish my white 09 Passion had the silver Tridion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can concur...quick easy change. Ordered my actuator from Ebay seller in Texas on Friday and had it at my door on Monday. Put the new one on and the 3-bars of death went away.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That's all providing the OP wants work on their car, can want to work on their car, have the tools, ability, space or time to do their own maintaince.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts