Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In these green-thinking urban surroundings, it should come as no surprise to stumble upon a car like the CityEl. This three-wheeled, single-seat and electric-powered oddity began life in Denmark. Produced from 1989 to 1995, it was initially labeled the MiniEl.

The car I came across happens to be from this original run of cars. Production has since moved to Kitzingen, Germany, where the outwardly identical CityEl is manufactured at a rate of 150-200 per year. In total, over 5,500 MiniEl and CityEl trikes have been sold since 1989.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
In these green-thinking urban surroundings, it should come as no surprise to stumble upon a car like the CityEl. This three-wheeled, single-seat and electric-powered oddity began life in Denmark. Produced from 1989 to 1995, it was initially labeled the MiniEl.

The car I came across happens to be from this original run of cars. Production has since moved to Kitzingen, Germany, where the outwardly identical CityEl is manufactured at a rate of 150-200 per year. In total, over 5,500 MiniEl and CityEl trikes have been sold since 1989.
You got any pics or links to post?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is cool looking, one headlight in the middle and back tires that look like they are from a bicycle.
I ran a search with the word CityEl and got an article from the NYTimes in english and photo of a man inside the car. I tried to copy and paste it here, but it didn't work.

Yellow/silver/passion/ #1200/ Apr 15th/no config yet

·
Super Moderator
28,913 Posts
Here's another three wheeler folks with time in the UK may remember; no longer in production :(

Reliant Robin

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
My Favorite (Favourite?) English 3-Wheeler

The Morgan "Trike."

The rationale for all of them was/is a tax dodge. They are taxed as motorbikes vice motorcars.

(BTW, the "M"s on the rockerbox covers stand for Matchless, not Morgan.)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
True, the above are both 3 wheelers, however they are as different as night and day.

One wheel in the front is extremely unstable. Two in the front is extremely stable. I had a Morgan and it reminded me of an 'Iceboat' for the road. The post office put 'Nurfbars' on their single front wheel Cushmans and Westcoasters.

"Bond" and "Reliant" have been quite popular in the UK since early postwar II.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts