Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's finally that time, and it came way too soon. I'm left with the decision in the next week or two to buy or turn the lease in. Residual is a little over 10k which seems to be at or below market value for a 2016 Passion with 25k miles and in perfect condition. I have a $395 turn in fee or a $150 buy out fee

Cons
I don't know about the long term reliability of this car (this is my MAIN concern)
I'm having the roof replaced under warranty as we speak an wonder if it will crack again in 3 years
Only under warranty for one more year
Nearest dealer for last year of warranty and recalls is 2 hrs away

Pros
Love driving it
I know the history of my car
Low miles

My alternatives are to buy a used car around 10k and after checking, there's not a lot I like around that price point. I'm also looking at a Subaru brand new. Lease for 280 then I would likely buy it and keep it long term

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you like the car then buy it! We only get to go around on this Earth once so make the most of it.
Smart's are pretty reliable vehicles when properly maintained. Find a couple of shops that service European vehicles and ask if they will service the car. If yes, then no worries! If no, contemplate if you want to do the work yourself. If you like turning wrenches from time to time on the basic stuff (oil changes, brakes, tire rotation, light bulbs, etc.) then keep the car and enjoy it for the years to come.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree: buy it if you like it!
But this $150 buy out fee: tell them to forget about it!
Good luck!
By the way: we bought our 2019 Prime for just over $7100... But we've put about $3500 into it so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad, but I've pretty much decided to buy a forever car and that's gonna be a Subaru Crosstrek. It's bittersweet but the size limitations will be gone and I can actually tow something. They hold their value very well and I can always get rid of it for a good price. Lots of leg room and a high stance that I'll be able to take in the mountains for camping.

I love the Smart and have lived happily with it's limitations for 6 years (451/453), but I think it's time to get a more versatile ride

Haven't done the deal yet but I put down a refundable deposit on a Crosstrek that's enroute to the dealer

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sad, but I've pretty much decided to buy a forever car and that's gonna be a Subaru Crosstrek. It's bittersweet but the size limitations will be gone and I can actually tow something. They hold their value very well and I can always get rid of it for a good price. Lots of leg room and a high stance that I'll be able to take in the mountains for camping.

I love the Smart and have lived happily with it's limitations for 6 years (451/453), but I think it's time to get a more versatile ride

Haven't done the deal yet but I put down a refundable deposit on a Crosstrek that's enroute to the dealer
What a coincidence, I've been looking at the Crosstrek's for my daughter. She needs a newer car for going away to college.

In any case, you are probably making the right decision for your situation. Good luck and enjoy the Crosstrek!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget to post a picture of the new Suby; when you get it. 👍
This is what it will look like. Dark gray. Hard to find these unless they have a ton of premium packages (that I don't care about and don't want to pay for). The base model automatics are in high demand and don't last long on the lot. My biggest dislike is the CVT. But they have been doing them for a long time so I guess I'll get used to it.

·
17,360 Posts
There's a guy that seriously offroads an orange Crosstrek in my state's Gambler 500. It's quite the capable vehicle! Good choice!

I was going to say that your new roof will deteriorate too, just a matter of when...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a guy that seriously offroads an orange Crosstrek in my state's Gambler 500. It's quite the capable vehicle! Good choice!

I was going to say that your new roof will deteriorate too, just a matter of when...
Cool!
And that roof was a major factor in my decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it's finally that time, and it came way too soon. I'm left with the decision in the next week or two to buy or turn the lease in. Residual is a little over 10k which seems to be at or below market value for a 2016 Passion with 25k miles and in perfect condition. I have a $395 turn in fee or a $150 buy out fee

Cons
I don't know about the long term reliability of this car (this is my MAIN concern)
I'm having the roof replaced under warranty as we speak an wonder if it will crack again in 3 years

Pros
Love driving it
Low miles

My alternatives are to buy a used car around 10k and after checking, there's not a lot I like around that price point. I'm also looking at a Subaru brand new. Lease for 280 then I would likely buy it and keep it long term
I turned in my 2016 about 6 months ago when the 3 year lease was up. I liked the car but they wanted $11.000 to buy it with 36k miles and I just didnt think it was a good deal. I then leased a Honda HRV with all wheel drive so it should do a little better than the smartie did in the snow. But admittedly I still miss my "baby"

·
Registered
195 Posts

Cons

Pros
Love driving it
Low miles

If you are purchasing the car, you will be buying it directly from Mercedes-Benz Financial (they own it). The purchase price will be the 'residual amount' found on your original purchase agreement. I did this with my 451 Brabus and sent my daughter off to college with it. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my Crosstrek yesterday...It. Is. Amazing. I definitely made the right choice. If I had an unlimited garage I would keep the smart, but I don't, so turning it in was a no brainer in hindsight.

As far as the cracked roof, it's still in the body shop so I'm waiting for it to get back to the dealership so I can officially end the lease.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts