Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but EVERYTIME I say anything about my Smart, people look worried and say, "Are you SURE??? Aren't thoes things dangerous?" People who are skeptical should research the things and not just fly off with info that isn't based on anything. I just get annoyed! Frankly, SUV's make ME angry!
A 5 start crash rating is pretty good I'd say!:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
A guy jumped in front of my car to stop me ( I almost hit him) at a drive thru fast food, to tell me not to hit a bug on the highway or I'll kill myself...

Just tell them, "it's made for autobahn driving" that shuts them up..

Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I went to pick up my daughter at one of her friends. A family member came out to look at the Samrt. 'Is that a real car?'...first time I got that one! I just smile when I fill up every other week!

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Knowledge is power...

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but EVERYTIME I say anything about my Smart, people look worried and say, "Are you SURE??? Aren't thoes things dangerous?" People who are skeptical should research the things and not just fly off with info that isn't based on anything. I just get annoyed! Frankly, SUV's make ME angry!
A 5 start crash rating is pretty good I'd say!:D
I keep a laminated picture of the tridion in the car just for those occasions and jump on the opportunity to educate the person in doubt. It has not failed me so far. As soon as I get into the explanation of the tridion, with visual aids, and explain that there are not too many cars built as sturdily as this on the road right now, they lose their doubt about the cars size and then understand.
Educating the public to the smart and other early adopted types of cars can make or break it's success so I put on my teaching hat quite often while doing my thing in my smartie....most people really appreciate your taking the time to explain things to them also....once in awhile you'll get the typical jerk who won't listen and just rant about it's size being unsafe...when you get those types, I just end the conversation and move on politely.
Smart car owners are ahead of the curve.. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went to pick up my daughter at one of her friends. A family member came out to look at the Samrt. 'Is that a real car?'...first time I got that one! I just smile when I fill up every other week!
Hey bud!!

It's smart, all lower case and cute in size...

·
Registered
43 Posts
yea that part is getting a bit annoying...i dont know how many times ive heard..."what if u get ht by a truck?" people can be so closed minded sometimes

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd reply, "What if YOU get hit by a truck??"
That's my reply too as I continuing walking away to do whatever it is I am there to do. Sorry folks, but my time here is limited and I'm not spending it talking to people about my car. I have friends, family and junk food restaurants to visit before I return to Japan in 24 days.... (and counting)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a guy in a big pickup lean way out of his window while turning left onto a busy four-land road yell, "You're gonna get killed in that thing!" I think his chances are greater, if he continues to drive like that.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Roll cage

Someone posted on another thread that the Tridion cell is made to NASCAR standards. Is there any authoritative truth to this?

I have no doubt it's stronger than it needs to be... I've seen crash photos. But saying "NASCAR" means a lot. Am I right that we can only claim it to be a steel roll cage?

·
Registered
274 Posts
A 5 start crash rating is pretty good I'd say!
That's only for the front car crash. In the side, and certainly in the rear it did not get a 5 star rating ;) Having said that I saw one ram into a cement wall at 70 MPH and the interior compartment was still intact. Infact the windshield was not even cracked. Certainly anyone inside the car would have been severely hurt, but not many other cars could have held up that well at those speeds. The bottom line is that it's much safer than it looks, but still has a ways to go. If Indy cars can hit walls going over 150 MPH and the drivers can get up and walk away from the crash, then certainly Mercedes can design a safe small car. I'd rather their engineers do it than a Chevy engineer :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of getting some sort of pamphlet together and carrying a bunch in my car. Or maybe just put a box on the car that says take one. At first it was kind of cool to explain everything to all the interested people, but now it's getting a bit tedious to keep saying the same things over and over. On the plus side, I'm talking to more people I've never met than I ever have in my life. You can't be shy and own a Smart.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Had a young woman and young man walk past my car this weekend. The guy said something and the girl said, "That's a death trap". My evil response in a Jack Nicholson kind of way, "What a ride?" :D

She just gave me a weird look and didn't answer. Whatever!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've chosen to ignore most of them. Most people are so insanely misinformed that I'd need a powerpoint presentation, video and flashcards to get through to them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's another reply..."Do you think twice about a motorcycle on the highway??? They are in much more danger than we ever will be!" Also, thoes who have convertables- they are in more danger and have a LOT less room in their cars than I do in my safe, and roomy Smart...oh yea, and thoes little cars gets 30mpg...

1 - 20 of 135 Posts