Smart Car of America Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
629 Posts
So, let me get this straight...your assertion is that there have been no advancements in automobile safety since the inception of the automobile that can be attributed to reduced injuries and/or deaths?

mmmeat said:
Did I say that?
Yeah, you did. See here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Given drivers of equal skill, modern cars will always be safer.
mmmeat said:
Okay ... WHERE did I assert what you're claiming I asserted?

All I see is you posting a quote that you've clearly misinterpreted and are attempting to take out of context in the hopes that you can start an argument because of what you want me to say, rather than what I actually wrote (which, BTW, I wrote using tiny words that most can understand without having to grab a dictionary).

So, again, I'll ask: Where did I say what you're asserting I said?

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Banned
629 Posts
I made no such assertion.

That doesn't mean roads are more crowded.

. For example, in 1965 the 405 freeway in California was 72 miles long. In 2006 (to go by your dating system) it's still 72 miles long.

However, in 1964 it was 4 lanes wide. Today, it's 10 lanes wide.

Which means: in 1964 it would have counted as 288 miles of highway in DOT stats and in 2006 it would have counted as 720 miles of highway.
Which means: in 1964 it was 72 miles long in DOT stats, and in 2006 it's 72 miles long.

Irrational argument is still possible, however, as demonstrated by many folks online...
Hence your post.

your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Another thread that has outlived it's usefulness...

Mods: Can someone create a bullpen thread where disagreeements can be handled. This he said, she said stuff is so annoying for those reading for content...

·
Banned
629 Posts
Mods: Can someone create a bullpen thread where disagreeements can be handled. This he said, she said stuff is so annoying for those reading for content...
I already suggested that this go to PMs. Obviously, some here aren't interested in posting unless they can get it out in public.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was once driving in '65 Mini Cooper S, when refueling the attendent stated "I wouldn't won't to get hit in that", I replied "what would you like to get hit in?" At which time the attendent realized the point of his statement.

I've driven small cars for over 30 years, ride motorcycles and have a full size truck (for towing). The truck, IMHO is the most dangerous, it's ability to respond to control input is lathargic at best unless driving with extreme aggression, which of course has it's own down fall... A small vehicle for me is far safer as it can be moved about with ease and has room when in traffic to be moved...

As a side note I have instructed folks on race car driving, been an airbag technician, an a automotive master technician!

·
Registered
305 Posts
As with road rage , it takes 2 to keep it going.
Actually it takes more. If anyone was showing any signs of believing the absurd stuff meat was writing, I'd be more tempted to continue -- just to persuade them. Fortunately, this appears to be a group that is a bit too clever to buy into his claims that vehicle weight determines vehicle safety, roads have not gotten more crowded in the past five or six decades, and that airbags are like shotguns pointing at drivers' chests, that shorter stopping distances and better handling don't improve safety, etc.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
DF, like the idea but like the PM idea even better. Most of this stuff is even below the level of "he said/she said" - more like "your momma wears combat boots." No need to add another place for it on the forums, IMHO. The usual suspects can use the PM function and save the rest of us the pain of reading it. :)

The other alternative is to take the personal posts to the "Anyone has anyone used Veloce?" thread, which is pretty much dead at this point.

·
Registered
801 Posts
absurd stuff etc

Actually it takes more. If anyone was showing any signs of believing the absurd stuff meat was writing, I'd be more tempted to continue -- just to persuade them. Fortunately, this appears to be a group that is a bit too clever to buy into his claims that vehicle weight determines vehicle safety, roads have not gotten more crowded in the past five or six decades, and that airbags are like shotguns pointing at drivers' chests, that shorter stopping distances and better handling don't improve safety, etc.
Doesn't matter a bit how safe the automakers make cars. Unsafe drivers STILL find a way to mangle themselves and others. If half the money spent by the government on regulations went to actual training of drivers, and disqualifying the totally inept, THEN it would be safer. Sorry, but mmmeat is a lot closer to the truth than some of you want to admit. (From me, a retired traffic crash investigater, whom judges and magistrates deemed an "expert witness")

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doesn't matter a bit how safe the automakers make cars. Unsafe drivers STILL find a way to mangle themselves and others. If half the money spent by the government on regulations went to actual training of drivers, and disqualifying the totally inept, THEN it would be safer. Sorry, but mmmeat is a lot closer to the truth than some of you want to admit. (From me, a retired traffic crash investigater, whom judges and magistrates deemed an "expert witness")

Very true, current crash data shows that although folks driving habits are much worse, the safety features within the vehicles out way the poor habits behind the wheel.

If they want to improve driving habits put poor brakes in cars and metal spikes aimed at the driver and occupants. Fact is that crash safety features have created worse driving conditions!

·
Banned
629 Posts
Very true, current crash data shows that although folks driving habits are much worse, the safety features within the vehicles out way the poor habits behind the wheel.

If they want to improve driving habits put poor brakes in cars and metal spikes aimed at the driver and occupants. Fact is that crash safety features have created worse driving conditions!
Bless you, my son.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Banned
629 Posts
While I'm neither judge nor magistrate, I deem you an expert witness as well. You've got the Meat Seal Of Approval!

:D

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Banned
629 Posts
mmmeat said:
Err... no it doesn't. It only takes one angry driver to keep coming after the other.

Your pal,
Meat.
That`s not what was stated before.

mmmeat said:
It takes two to play the road rage game (as I've said before). If you're speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down and engaging occupants of the other car ... well, I'm unwilling to believe that there's a victim in the room. Especially with just one side of a story.

Your pal,
Meat.
Hmm... Not sure how that got taken out of context, but okay. I'll clarify:

In response to your statement, "As with road rage , it takes 2 to keep it going" I pretty clearly said "it only takes one angry driver to keep coming after the other."

And that statement is absolutely true, clear and correct.

Your out-of-context quote, in reference to a completely different scenario, says "It takes two to play the road rage game (as I've said before). If you're speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down and engaging occupants of the other car ... well, I'm unwilling to believe that there's a victim in the room."

And that statement is absolutely true, clear and correct.

Perhaps, in reflection, you can see the differences between the two statements, the scenarios involved, and maybe you'll be able to figure out all by yourself - without any intervention on my part - where you've made your cognitive error.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Driver safety is a completely different issue. We were discussing the safety aspects of the cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brochure box

I'm seriously thinking of getting some sort of pamphlet together and carrying a bunch in my car. Or maybe just put a box on the car that says take one. At first it was kind of cool to explain everything to all the interested people, but now it's getting a bit tedious to keep saying the same things over and over. On the plus side, I'm talking to more people I've never met than I ever have in my life. You can't be shy and own a Smart.
I have a smart car (blue passion) and there's a acylic box that mounts on the side window that you can use to distribute information.

Look at the website silentsalespro

101 - 120 of 135 Posts