Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a quasi-dead, abandoned smartm451/ vintge 09 to the dealer and was gratified to discover most propblems came from the fuel tank! The former owner took the car vaway from his son and I got it. A trip to the MB dealer got me the star codes and a brief diagnostic and a complete flush out of the fuel tank in situ. Goobers and ucki (pronounced "ootski" )were the main culprits..
SHE'S ALIVE AND ROARING NOW!
My plans:
1. new black passenger fender or two new red ones
2. Complete base line maintenance
3. Built-in plug-in battery tender
4. New exhaust (too many dings from potholes and rough driving)
5. A complete groom and leather treatment ( a spcialty of mine from my fur coat making days)
6. A lift kit (need to know a good one!) to lift 2-3 inches and sport 165-80-15 tires,
7. a tow hitch which holds the spare tire bracket
8. smart hub caps
9. A smart-relevant tool kit (BTW what special tools are needed?)
I haven't been this excited since I bought Groucho Marx's old Mercedes. as a barn find

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Dreamcarowner got a lift kit. I’m afraid it may have caused premature failure of the driveshaft boots or something like that. I told him I think he should take it off...

·
17,358 Posts
The Daystar lift is 2 inches. Lifting any car comes with the risk of tearing boots, so you want to make sure those are pretty fresh or new. Simply going from 29s to 31s on the Ranger I used to own was enough to tear the ancient boots its front CV axles were wearing.

The Tesla ED suspension is also good for 1-2 inches and is cheaper than the Daystar. Most people who install either the Daystar or the Tesla ED suspension recommend getting an alignment immediately after the install.

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Daystar lift is 2 inches. Lifting any car comes with the risk of tearing boots, so you want to make sure those are pretty fresh or new. Simply going from 29s to 31s on the Ranger I used to own was enough to tear the ancient boots its front CV axles were wearing.

The Tesla ED suspension is also good for 1-2 inches and is cheaper than the Daystar. Most people who install either the Daystar or the Tesla ED suspension recommend getting an alignment immediately after the install.
Thank you for this highly useful comment!
One question: Are you speaking of the TESLA ED lift kit or of the Tesla suspension members?
I assume there is a lift kit available from someone, any brands or sources known??

In any event, all the rubber on this smart will be replaced this winter, now that I have a garage to store it and a place to work on it.

BTW I never asked you: which Benz do you own/drive?

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One question: Are you speaking of the TESLA ED lift kit or of the Tesla suspension members?
I assume there is a lift kit available from someone, any brands or sources known??

In any event, all the rubber on this smart will be replaced this winter, now that I have a garage to store it and a place to work on it.

Also discovered that the Tesla 1.75" lift kit from MPP is 300.00, while the smart kits through Amazon for four axles is 333.00

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also discovered that the Tesla 1.75" lift kit from MPP is 300.00, while the smart kits through Amazon for four axles is 333.00
CORRECTION:
the Tesla 1.75" lift kit from MPP is 500.00, while the smart kits through Amazon for four axles is 333.00

·
17,358 Posts

Neither. The 2009-2011 smart fortwo Electric Drive comes with a beefy Tesla battery. These cars were prototypes that were supposed to be returned to smart after the testing phases (leases) were complete. Instead, many ended up in private hands while many others ended up scrapped by places like Autobahn Dismantling.

Some people here discovered that when you fit the suspension parts from those cars to an ICE, you get basically the Daystar lift out of it. I paid Autobahn Dismantling like $160 for front and back shocks and springs from the Tesla battery smart ED.

As for what I drive? I have two 2005 smart fortwos, a 2012 smart fortwo, a 2016 smart fortwo, a Ford Festiva rally car, and about six motorcycles. lol I do plan on replacing my Festiva rally car with a MB 300D rally car. The "Mercedes" in my name will soon hopefully be my new legal first name. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wife and I saw this one on the web , would love to do this project just for fun . Just need a donor vehicle , and room in the garage .
AC7A3CBD-19A3-4785-B354-487C2CE1FBDD.jpeg

·
17,358 Posts
Bet its top speed is 70, foot to floor in 4th gear. Tall tires and drag are killers in tiny cars like these.

·
Registered
563 Posts
We would use it just for fun , not driving on the highways . There are some nice off road parks locally it would be fun to trailer and play in the park . Nothing too serious .

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a quasi-dead, abandoned smartm451/ vintge 09 to the dealer and was gratified to discover most propblems came from the fuel tank! The former owner took the car vaway from his son and I got it. A trip to the MB dealer got me the star codes and a brief diagnostic and a complete flush out of the fuel tank in situ. Goobers and ucki (pronounced "ootski" )were the main culprits..
SHE'S ALIVE AND ROARING NOW!
My plans:
1. new black passenger fender or two new red ones
2. Complete base line maintenance
3. Built-in plug-in battery tender
4. New exhaust (too many dings from potholes and rough driving)
5. A complete groom and leather treatment ( a spcialty of mine from my fur coat making days)
6. A lift kit (need to know a good one!) to lift 2-3 inches and sport 165-80-15 tires,
7. a tow hitch which holds the spare tire bracket
8. smart hub caps
9. A smart-relevant tool kit (BTW what special tools are needed?)
I haven't been this excited since I bought Groucho Marx's old Mercedes. as a barn find
I have picked up the 451 from the dealer. It runs well, although is noisy due to exhaust leak.
It is now in my son's garage, awaiting baseline oil and filter change, plus air filter change.

1. Now it is time to create the repair environment. Flat cardboard 4' x 6' covered by carpet for use by old man doing repairs (me). bring all tools plus jacks and 16"x16"x4" panels to be used to lift car 8" off ground for ease of inspection.
2. After checking the wheels and brakes, next will be oil/filter change and exhaust removal. I need to see how bad the exhaust is, and whether a fix is possible. If not I'll call Smart Madness and look for a take-off exhaust.
3. I may have located an entire front clip, as well, in Canada.
4. Longer term, I will create permanent red and black aux cables to connect a battery tender, to keep the battery up.
5. Then we investigate trailer hitch to hold my home-made rear tire bracket.
6. Also looking for info on lubricants and fluids for baseline maintenance and smart car DOs and DON'Ts.
That's the latest for now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts