Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a little confused as to what would happen. i suspect a possible bent right rear rim. if i use a hydraulic floor jack under the tube can i start the motor and spin the wheel slowly or will it drive off the jack (in which case i need to raise both wheels)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
With the car in neutral, and that wheel off the ground using the jacking point per the manual, turning the wheel by hand will show a bent rim. Usually you can see the bend in the rim if they get hit.

If you try to drive it with one wheel off the ground, the traction control will take over, same with both rear wheels off the ground. If you need to spin the wheel at a higher speed, take it to a tire shop and have them put it on their balancer. that will show if it is out of balance or bent. Some shops can straighten them if they are not too damaged.

I personally would avoid lifting under the 'tube' as any bend to that will mess up the rear alignment. which is not adjustable.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Don't jack the car up and run the engine to do a test. You'll end up with more damage then a bent rim. Any tire store can diagnosed one. Some wheel repair shops can repair a bent rim. My daughter damage one of hers, on a pot hole. Too far gone. Bought a used take off from smart madness. Same price as having one fixed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will chock the front wheels jack the rear up on the body seam in front of the rear wheels and support it than just let the engine idle in gear. call me cheap but most tire shops won't touch it without charging you

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If you recall, your car has Traction control. If it sees the back wheels turning and not the front, it will assume you are sliding and stop the rear wheels.

But hey! it is your car, do what you think is best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you recall, your car has Traction control. If it sees the back wheels turning and not the front, it will assume you are sliding and stop the rear wheels.

But hey! it is your car, do what you think is best.
I was stuck in my driveway this morning, and the rear wheels spun freely as long as I didn't touch the gas. I'm sure because I was outside of the vehicle, before I pushed it free.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I was stuck in my driveway this morning, and the rear wheels spun freely as long as I didn't touch the gas. I'm sure because I was outside of the vehicle, before I pushed it free.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk
AS I said, it is your car. do what you want with it.

I would strongly suggest not putting a car in gear, then getting out and giving it a push. Sounds like a good way to watch your car drive off on it's own with nobody in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts