Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 smart ed. Bought a few months ago, still under warranty. A few times there has been a jerk/stutter type feeling when accelerating from a stop. It feels like the car went over a small speed bump but no bump there. I can’t find that anyone has ever mentioned such a thing. My last smart ED (2014 MY) never did it. Does anyone have any insight of where to even start to diagnose it? What it may be related to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned: I did but my dealer is pretty uninterested in smart cars. If it’s not a known issue that comes up on the computer scan or clearly reproducible they just shrug.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
That "stutter" is tire slip safety compromising on hard acceleration on my 2017 ED, especially on slight inclination combined with damp or wet roads. Essentially the motor torque is exceeding friction grab on the tire contact to the road surface. Then the computer traction control detects it and backs off. (try getting air and see what happens woah boy!...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought that was the thing that sort of cut out power to the tires, like a quick put in neutral. At least that is what it felt like a few times in my other smart car when going over some slick spots in the winter. It does make sense it’d be related tho. I’ll read more on that feature. Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
That "stutter" is tire slip safety compromising on hard acceleration on my 2017 ED, especially on slight inclination combined with damp or wet roads. Essentially the motor torque is exceeding friction grab on the tire contact to the road surface. Then the computer traction control detects it and backs off. (try getting air and see what happens woah boy!...)
Thank you Jeb!
I know the little guy has a serious monitoring system and won't let you have fun but I have wide sticky tires and in Hot Phoenix = great traction.
But every time I floor it I get that shutter, I though it was a motor mount and found the torque mount was torn and replaced it but the shutter is still there. Also I do notice the CV Axles are very wobbly coming out of the differential housing so I then thought it was a CV axle shimmy since I lowered the car.
I am going to turn off traction control and see if it goes away.
I'll post the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts