Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, July 20 – Drive to Kearney to visit The Archway AND the Classic Car Museum

Those that want to -- meet at the Perkins Restaurant off I-80 in Lincoln (airport exit 399) at 10:00. We’ll leave shortly after 10:00 and all caravan to Kearney. Would you rather travel I-80 or Hwy 6? If we go I-80 it will take around 2 hours. Hwy 6 is more like 3.5 hours.

Lunch @ ? Can anyone recommend a local Kearney restaurant that is open on Sundays?

Caravan to the Classic Car Collection. Classic Car Collection Kearney, Nebraska, Car Museum, Tourist Attraction, Nebraska Tourism, Things to do in Kearney
$8.00 general admission
$7.00 seniors 60+
$6.00 students
Free children under 5 years

Caravan to The Archway. General Visitor?s Information | Archway
$12.00 adult
$11.00 senior 62+
$8.00 youth 10-15 years of age
$5.00 children 6-9 years of age
Free children 5 years and under

Please reply to this post by Thurs., July 17 if you will be joining us for lunch so that reservations can be made.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add 2 to your group. Me and wife would love to go!
Hi Robbie! So glad you and your wife will be able to join us on the 20th. Will you be meeting us at the Perkins in Lincoln to caravan to Kearney? We all look forward to meeting you soon.

Marcy

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
I'll need to see if I can trade with someone and get the 20th off.
There are several good restaraunts in Kearney. I'll have Jim get the names of some of them since he is there a couple days a week. I know there is a steak restaraunt that is good and several downtown but don't know if they are open on Sunday.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are several good restaraunts in Kearney. I'll have Jim get the names of some of them since he is there a couple days a week. I know there is a steak restaraunt that is good and several downtown but don't know if they are open on Sunday.
Thanks, Jill! Hope to see you on the 20th.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I'd suggest checking out the Sand Hill Crane migration in Kearney. Even if you're not a birder, the spectacle is a 'not to miss' event ... especially with you being so close. Not only were the sandbars full or cranes dark to dawn, but they blanket the fields in between, and the air is often almost black with big birds.

Remarkably, there were flocks of wild turkeys scattered among them. They'd puff up and you could walk among them, almost like a petting zoo. I have friends in VA and TX who spend years trying to hunt turkeys (usually unsuccessfully), and I sent them pix and drove them wild!

A few years back, a friend and I made it a long weekend, and between things like the Hastings Museum, etc. were busy the entire time.

Cheers, Bob in KCMO

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Thirteen hours travel time each way is just a bit out of reach for me, Jill. Hope to see you both in Fontana N.C. The Mountains, they are a callin'. :D I'm startin to hear banjo music.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Thirteen hours travel time each way is just a bit out of reach for me, Jill. Hope to see you both in Fontana N.C. The Mountains, they are a callin'. :D I'm startin to hear banjo music.
Rich, we are still waiting to find out if Jim can be out of town the weekend of OTD. :( I think I can almost hear that Banjo music here in Lincoln. :D
It's 17 hours from Lincoln to Fontana Village.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Marcy, we found out last night that our triplet granddaughters birthday party is going to be on the 20th. They turn 5 this year. The granddaughters do trump a smart outing, even with how much I love getting together with other smarties to driving together as a group. I was even able to trade days so I could attend your outing. Next time we'll make it.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Rich, we are still waiting to find out if Jim can be out of town the weekend of OTD. :( I think I can almost hear that Banjo music here in Lincoln. :D
It's 17 hours from Lincoln to Fontana Village.
Jill, I'm not SMART enough to be able to do that in a three day weekend trip. :p That's more punishment than I can enjoy even for a classic car museum, and I do love those. :D It would be different if my partner would come along, but three's a crowd. Arthur Itis insists on coming too, so we never take trips in the smart. The Brabus is too hard a ride. I've got a bent rim right now that needs reforming.
If I had a garage, I could keep a spare set of 15's for the rear and run high flotation tires for touring. :D I don't think that would off set the passenger comfort level for a 6-5 frame with too many fused vertebrae and a home body mentality. My co-pilot seat will almost always be empty. :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marcy, we found out last night that our triplet granddaughters birthday party is going to be on the 20th. They turn 5 this year. The granddaughters do trump a smart outing, even with how much I love getting together with other smarties to driving together as a group. I was even able to trade days so I could attend your outing. Next time we'll make it.
Happy Birthday to the three girls! See you next time Jill.

Marcy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Add 2 to your group. Me and wife would love to go!
Hi Robbie! Just a reminder that we are meeting this Sunday (20th) at 10:00 at the Perkins Restaurant in Lincoln (airport exit 399) to caravan to Kearney. Looking forward to meeting you both then.

Marcy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Marcy,

My wife was unable to get the day off and I cant convince my kids to go with me, so it may just be me. But I would still enjoy it if the event is still on. Thanks, robbie

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Marcy,

My wife was unable to get the day off and I cant convince my kids to go with me, so it may just be me. But I would still enjoy it if the event is still on. Thanks, robbie
The event is a "go" this Sunday. See you at the airport Perkins in Lincoln at 10:00. Sorry we won't be able to meet your wife this time, but maybe in the near future! See you soon.

Marcy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great day with great friends! The Archway is very interesting and informative and the Car Museum has close to 200 beautifully preserved cars and trucks on display. Not to be missed!

Robbie, I'm sorry we missed meeting you today. Email me at [email protected] and I'll get you on our group email list for future gatherings.

Marcy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts