Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since i got smart, i stopped driving my other car, now the battery in my other ICE car is dead.

question: when i use jump cable to hook up smart ED with my other car, will my smart car charge up the other car? anyone successfully jump start another car using smart ED?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm not sure I want to be the first to try...

Just apply the usual precautions.

Let the battery in the car to be jumpstarted charge off the smart battery for 15 minutes with the smarts key at least in the accessory position: This turns on the DC/DC converter in the smart to keep the 12V battery charged from the traction battery.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
832 Posts
The manual is not helping here. It is mostly standard jumpstart stuff (helpful if you don't know about that, of course). But it makes no reference to jumpstarting another vehicle from the smart. The few things that are smart ED specific are only about the smart receiving the jump, not giving it.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The manual is not helping here.
To my point - A short prayer might be in order too?

Two key takeaways from the manual are that (1) it has a jump start section and (2) doesn't say don't do it?

ED is a Brave New World and I'm not certain an EV (with all the electronics and a $5,000
battery pack) is a good platform from which to provide a jump?

·
Registered
71 Posts
hmm, how do i know DC-DC converter is active? by turning smart on(when it is on "ready")?
I have had my Smart ED less than two months. So I'm just a blowhard talking about all this. But for sure the DC-DC converter has to be on when in Ready mode.

samsf said:
if not, i may have to invest in proper jump starter/charger.
I had one of those jump starter things from Costco a while ago. I never paid attention to it. A couple of years later, when I wanted to jump start my car, it was of no use because the starter's battery had completely run out of juice :)

·
17,349 Posts
I wouldn't even jump another car with a petrol smart. Not only do you have to feed the jumper cables into the darned footwell, but then you have to worry about how the electrical system and computers might react to the additional load of charging the battery.

FWIW - If you have breakdown coverage on your insurance (and everyone should), just call the ins. co and they'll send help.

·
Registered
515 Posts
AAA to the rescue....I have a portable jump starter battery job with the cables....I take it everywhere...I have jump started people from work with it and did not use the Electric Smart....its a must have since I can jump start my own car if my own 12 volt battery runs out of juice.....it was only 40 dollars off ebay and it fires up my dodge ram no problem....
I would not even think of using the Smart to jump start another car....dont need to read the manual I know it would be a grey area.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i had those portable jump starter, after they sat around for a while, it is useless as brick as its own battery was dead as well

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you aren't going to drive the other car much, spend $40 and buy a trickle charger and just leave it hooked up if feasible, If not, invest in the jumper box mentioned above. I always keep one charged at my house, whether for the boat or a car. I wouldn't try to jump another vehicle just because it is difficult to jump car-to-car without the engine (alternator) running in the good one. Battery-to battery jumps without the engine on are usually futile. And since you don't have an alternator in your Smartie, I think I would find another way to do it.

·
17,349 Posts
I forgot about that. The alternator is pretty much a requirement for a jump start. Otherwise it's like charging a dead car using nothing but the accessory power of the other car! :eek:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, it's a real drag having to replace the 12V battery every time it's empty. I wish they had thought of a way to recharge it
:joker:
>:D Made my day with that reply!

Anyway, for folks with humor challenges, here is a quote from the technical guide:

The 12 V on-board electrical system is supplied
with power by a DC/DC converter in the power
electronics control unit. The DC/DC converter
transforms the high direct voltage from the high-
voltage on-board electrical system into 12 V
direct voltage. The power electronics control unit
thus performs the task of the alternator on a
vehicle with combustion engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts