Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wandering through a junkyard today, when I walked past a couple of Mercedes.
Realized what I had walked past, and went back.
Now I have a pair of $9 (for both!) fog lights for my Smart!

·
Registered
946 Posts
We once had a 1986 Toyota Van Wagon (yes, they once used the same name as did VW) that managed to accumulate just under 286,000 miles on the clock before it got totaled while sitting at a stop sign.

During all of those miles, there were a few problems. One was with the rubber bushings in the suspension system, which started squawking at about 210,000 miles; nothing we could do would silence them. But, the most irritating problem was with the front arm rests.

Apparently, skin oils and/or perspiration ate the foamed rubber within these things, and the cover turned into a wrinkled mess as the foam lost its shape and volume. However, I would regularly visit the local Pick-a-Part yard, unbolt a couple of arm rests from wrecks that I would find there, pay a couple of bucks for them and then leave the yard (along with all of the loose change that I could find during my parts hunts).

It was then a simple matter of installing the "new" parts, replacing the covers (which were dry cleaned and looked as good as new), and then soldiering on for another 30,000 miles without a problem.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mercedes R-Class fogs are identical to Smarts, and they plug right in.
Sockets and wires already exist behind the front valance. (451)
All you need are the two plastic pieces that the fogs fit into, and four screws.
The button bank is an easy mod,
Then the Smart dealer mods your SAM for 50 clams. (late 2008 and up cars)
Presto!

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
The Mercedes R-Class fogs are identical to Smarts, and they plug right in.
Sockets and wires already exist behind the front valance. (451)
All you need are the two plastic pieces that the fogs fit into, and four screws.
The button bank is an easy mod,
Then the Smart dealer mods your SAM for 50 clams. (late 2008 and up cars)
Presto!
Apparently you have done your homework :)

I think Karl was hinting towards the $50 (may be more) to get them "activated". Still a good deal :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts