Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
What is the size and brand of tires on the Carlssons? Where did you get the tires and how much did you have to pay for the tires? Sorry to be so nosy but I am sure a number of us bought those wheels during the recent sales. Did you have any problems with the wheels?
ps...They look great on your car.

edit: Is your black car lowered at all? The reason I ask is I have the Carlsson wheels and a '13 cabrio and I like the smoothness of the ride but don't like the way the wheel well is not filled up with the 15 inch wheels. Lowering it will degrade the smoothness of the ride and the 17" and 16" size of the Carlsson's will as well. So I have three choices...add Carlssons only, lower the car only, or both.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is the size and brand of tires on the Carlssons? Where did you get the tires and how much did you have to pay for the tires? Sorry to be so nosy but I am sure a number of us bought those wheels during the recent sales. Did you have any problems with the wheels?
ps...They look great on your car.

edit: Is your black car lowered at all? The reason I ask is I have the Carlsson wheels and a '13 cabrio and I like the smoothness of the ride but don't like the way the wheel well is not filled up with the 15 inch wheels. Lowering it will degrade the smoothness of the ride and the 17" and 16" size of the Carlsson's will as well. So I have three choices...add Carlssons only, lower the car only, or both.
No problems with wheels...balanced just fine...Yoko S Drives...195/45-16 front...and I went with a bit taller tire in the rear...205/40-17...helps fill-up the rear wheel wells...I purchased the tires from a local dealership because of his expert mounting & balancing capabilities...I paid $127 each front...$129 each rear..."white glove" mounting & balancing was free...you could eat off the floor of their shop...always a row of Ferrari's...Bentley's...and Lamborghini's being serviced at this facility...I never have to worry about them scratching a wheel...or the vehicle!

I also installed front ceramic dustless brake pads to protect the finish of the Carlsson wheels...

No more lowering for me...my '11 Smart was lowered with 17" wheel on all 4 corners...looked great...but ride quality was horrible...I tried two different spring setups...and eventually re-installed the stock springs...

In my opinion...the poorly engineered suspension of the current 451 Smart is one of the biggest drawbacks to ownership...and of course over-sized wheel/tires only further aggravate the situation...

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
HoustonSmart;85950 [B said:
In my opinion...the poorly engineered suspension of the current 451 Smart is one of the biggest drawbacks to ownership...and of course over-sized wheel/tires only further aggravate the situation... [/B]
smart?

Have the 16 and 17 inch wheels and tires degraded the smoothness of the ride of the '13 smart? From my observations of my '13 I am surprised that the ride of the '13 is so much better than that of earlier models...but it is a lot better.

ps...any pictures of the black smart from the side (with the Carlssons of course?)

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have the 16 and 17 inch wheels and tires degraded the smoothness of the ride of the '13 smart? From my observations of my '13 I am surprised that the ride of the '13 is so much better than that of earlier models...but it is a lot better...

ps...any pictures of the black smart from the side (with the Carlssons of course?)
Sorry...those were the only photos I took...

You're correct...my '13 rides better than my previous '09 and '11...

Ride quality with Carlsson's is a bit harsher than with stock setup on smooth payment...but over potholes and rough pavement...significantly worse!

But handling is greatly enhanced...always tradeoffs when modifying vehicles!

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
My plan is to buy the 15" flat black Darwin Genius wheels and paint from the spokes out the same yellow that is on my car and use them as my everyday wheels and tires. For shows and rallys I will powder coat the Carlsson wheels gloss black and then paint the yellow from the car from the spokes out.
I can put up with the Carlsson's stiffer ride on the highway but for in town pothole roads the 15" wheels are more comfortable. Plus having the 15" wheels being the same size they can be rotated.
I have the S-Drives on my car at this time.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plan is to buy the 15" flat black Darwin Genius wheels and paint from the spokes out the same yellow that is on my car and use them as my everyday wheels and tires. For shows and rallys I will powder coat the Carlsson wheels gloss black and then paint the yellow from the car from the spokes out.
I can put up with the Carlsson's stiffer ride on the highway but for in town pothole roads the 15" wheels are more comfortable. Plus having the 15" wheels being the same size they can be rotated.
I have the S-Drives on my car at this time.
That should be a very unique look for the wheels!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Houston, what fog lights are those on your 2013 black Fortwo... and how is that you have no "Passion" emblem by the side rearview mirror?

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got me some genius 17".
factory recommendation front: 195/40/17. rear: 225/35/17.

Do you have any other recommendation on sizes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts