Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sometimes, when you can’t verify if oil has been changed in a car you purchased recently you just have to bite the bullet and get it changed again on your dime. Buy a filter and go to a local place that will agree to change the oil for you. no matter how little you drive per year, it is best to change the oil once/year. You won’t destroy your engine if you don’t do so but that is the recommendation.
The Smart car book if I am not mistaken says every 10,000 miles...I have only driven 2,245 or so miles since the last oil change and MB, and Christian brothers automotive seem to agree....so I will see how it goes with checking the fluids every month.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The 10k mile number is based on average miles driven/year by most folks. That number was somewhere about 12,500. Your choice in what you do with your car, just telling you what is recommended. Oil does degrade over time.

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
The Smart car book if I am not mistaken says every 10,000 miles...I have only driven 2,245 or so miles since the last oil change and MB, and Christian brothers automotive seem to agree....so I will see how it goes with checking the fluids every month.
The official maintenance schedule is every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever happens first.

I've been guilty of going 15,000 miles between an oil change in my 2012 (451) and my 2016 (453) garage queen doesn't always get its oil changed exactly every 365 days.

Going past the recommendation won't kill the car, but be careful about going over. If you do a lot of short trips (say, under 10 miles) then your oil could have some moisture and other nasty stuff that you don't want in it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Cagney I know how you feel about”lane drifters” I’ve had multiple close calls and not just in my smart but in my rx8.
The lane drifters seem to be worse when I’m in the smart.
Had a ford truck one day just decide he wanted to be in my lane(with me still in it and inbetween his truck and boat trailer with the boat still in it) needless to say I gave him as much of a scare as he did me when I hit the horn(my smart has aftermarket and louder horns and I’m glad of it)then pulled ahead of him afterwards.
Speaking of semis doing stupid stuff I had one the first time I took my smart on the interstate try to scare me by drifting around in his lane(didn’t scare me as I passed him later)
Having a dash cam is key in catching people who do stupid stuff in the act(never know when you’ll catch the plate number) I put two in my rx8 and plan to put some in the smart soon as I can.(too many close calls to not run with one)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,782 Posts
I have owned my smart for a little over 12 years and have 5,2XX miles on it. If I waited on 10,000 miles, I would have another 12 years to go. To me, good oil is very cheap insurance to keep my car happy. I change it once a year, even if the mileage only shows an additional 200 miles. I may be crazy, but this method has worked on all the low mileage cars I have owned.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just curious about logic reasoning or need for new oil after 200 miles?
What kind of rationale is behind it scientific or otherwise?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I’m going to be changing the oil in my smart every 5k miles.
I don’t like going 10k miles between oil changes.
I say this as I had a 03 Escalade which I used the gm oil life meter for a year or two then I started doing it every 3k miles since it used regular oil.
Reasoning behind it was I noticed valve tick in cold weather months when I went by the oil life meter(valve tick told me that the oil wasn’t getting where it needed to get)
After I started changing it at 3k miles the valve tick stopped even in the coldest winter days.
New owner so far hasn’t had a issue with it.

Now even though the smart uses synthetic oil I’m doing it at 5k miles(synthetic oils manufactures recommend 7500 miles btw) and I’m sticking to it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Total waste of natural resources, energy etc.
The only thing I would have to add is especially considering today's synthetic oils.
We've had one car that said 2 yrs or 20k mi, so 2 years is the limit I feel. Sadly I've gone much longer and am very ashamed of myself.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You've owned the car for about a year. You're due per maintenance requirements. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't give them a reason to void your Gold warranty by not getting the oil changed yearly, if not sooner for example if you happen to drive 10k mi in less than a year.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, when synthetic first came out I was told it was "too" good for my engine... same audience that said 3mos or 3000mi. I got the filter for 15 and the oil at 5\qt. Nice thing is it's a sock filter, so the $5 33mm GM socket will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
If you really want to know the condition of your oil after a year or two years or 200 miles, spend about $15 on an oil analysis from one of the labs and you will likely see that even after two years and10K or more miles, your oil is still good. And if the lab results happen to show otherwise, then you can make adjustments.

Len

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you really want to know the condition of your oil after a year or two years or 200 miles, spend about $15 on an oil analysis from one of the labs and you will likely see that even after two years and10K or more miles, your oil is still good. And if the lab results happen to show otherwise, then you can make adjustments.

Len
I'm thinking about oil analysis.
Prices have gone up. One of the biggest Blackstone is $30 now for oil analysis.

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
It's good, very good! I'd love to see what a high-mileage car like yours has in its oil.

I've not gotten an oil test done on a smart, but I have on my bus... there's a bit too much lead in the oil. :oops:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have my oil tested with each change. The car was designed for 10k changes and modern materials provide for reliable service at that rate. The lab results indicate that 10k miles is appropriate and unless the report comes back otherwise, I see no reason to alter that.

IMO, $30 a year is a small expense to get a view of the engine's health and to have a chance of detecting failing components before they're catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It's good, very good! I'd love to see what a high-mileage car like yours has in its oil.

I've not gotten an oil test done on a smart, but I have on my bus... there's a bit too much lead in the oil. :oops:
My almost 58,000 miles on my 09.
I guess that's high mileage for a smart?
Remember Miss Mercedes said it not me. :cool:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts