Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Passion and I'm loving it... But my question is...

How kind of life span should I expect from this car 80,000 miles ?

100,000 plus ?

does anybody know ?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Ralph T.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Yeah, what forestacademy said. The maintenance schedule booklet goes to 120K. I'm sure like all cars there will be a wide range of lifespans, largely dependent on care and feeding. I drove a Dodge Neon for 14 years. I would be surprised if the smart can't top that.

Truth be known, that Neon could still be plugging along if I'd taken better care of it. I admit neglect in its later years.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I hope so. I've never owned a car long enough to buy tires, battery, even windshield wipers, in fact my '07 550 CLS didn't even have its first oil change when I bought my new '08 CTS. But I know I'm going to have to stop that, so I've promised I'm going to keep my smart longer. Sold my orphan at 3,000 miles when my own smart arrived. So, I'm going for the marathon, we'll try and see how well they last...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
#1 - It's all about how the car is maintained
#2 - delete #1 if the car is just a piece of junk :)

Nobody has said they have broke 100k yet. Heck, I haven't even heard 50k yet. Next week I'll hit 20k and there are a few that have me beat. 30k anyone?

Most miles I've owned a car so far is 140k. Gave it to my kid 40k ago though, haven't signed the title over. I should do that as a X-Mas present I suppose.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Our local downtown barber drives about five blocks to work each day and uses his car for other trips on the weekend. It is a 1939 Plymouth. There is a huge number of VW beetles (Vochos, here) in Mexico, as well as VW Things (Safari in Mexico), many of which were built in the 50s and 60s. The 'Vocho' was built in Puebla, Mexico, until 2004 and there are a lot of them around, of all ages. Since I have had several VWs and consider the Smart a much better engineered vehicle, I suspect that they can last even longer if cared for properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts