Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome. We had a 2012 Smart we leased new in 2012. Had for 9 months then sold it. Just picked up another 2012 same color! You'll notice the ride is pretty rough...something I'd forgotten about. When the time comes, put a little bigger tires on there and keep those pressures lower for a more comfortable ride if you can stand the minor hit to fuel economy. And oh yeah, you'll find the speedo is off by quite a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea at first I thought something is wrong with the suspension. I was getting tossed around a bit while driving around the neighborhood. Rides alot like a golf cart. The engine feels like one of those older Diesel engines too, maybe its just me. I'm going to bring it to a local garage to do the 30k mile maintenance to swap out the spark plugs next week.

Any tips on saving money like easy DIY maintenance stuff, things like that?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've found that 32F/34R is my sweet spot for the ED model that is nearly 400 pounds heavier, so something around 29F/31R to 30F/32R could be a good starting point. There's no way you need 36 PSI in the rear for a 175 tire on a car that weighs in the 1700 pound range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just did my first oil change on the smart. About $70 for full synthetic change in the North Jersey area. Is this a good price? Seems a bit steep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also manage to change the cabin air filter myself. took like 10 minutes, cover came off pretty easily, putting it back on was a bit annoying since I didn't know how it hooks or clips on.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
That sounds like an average price if the shop supplied the oil and filter. I buy the oil and filter at the best price locally and then take them to our friendly mechanics, who charge $15 to do the change. :)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,659 Posts
That's not a bad price for a shop doing the work and supplying the goods. I pay about nine dollars a quart for Mobile 1 0W40 oil and about twelve dollars for a Mobile M1-108 filter at Wal Mart and do the work myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
See the Mobil 1 rebate post in Steals and Deals. Mobil 1 ends up costing you about $2 a quart after the rebate.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

·
Registered
881 Posts
LUBE YOU CHASSIS PIVOT POINTS. Get a Silicone Spray Lube and spray everything under you car that should pivot or twist. Front and rear. The cars get rusted and rigid you have to loosen all the joints up again. Then the car will give and ( as described by another member) start riding over the bumps and cracks instead of through them. You still must etch in your mind where the pot holes are and miss them, but the difference will be major with a lose chassis. I am in Harlem and will find you soon and share some tweaks. Enjoy Your Smart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts