Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knew my '09 smart cabrio could fly like a jet plane! It's totally awesome. Totally smoothes out the lurchiness of the transmissionWhen I left Smart Madness to get on the freeway, I floored it on the on ramp and just took off like I stole it. So fun! Able to quickly get into another lane when driving in rush hour traffic as there's almost no lag. I'm just crazy about this add on.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't understand exactly what it does? I thought it just changed the gear ratios, but couldn't you make the same effect by manually shifting?

(Obviously I'm not a "car" guy heh)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only shift manually and I'm a very aggressive driver. In a word "No". Manual shifting and holding down your gas pedal into hyper-drive does NOT do what the GO pedal does.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't understand exactly what it does? I thought it just changed the gear ratios, but couldn't you make the same effect by manually shifting?
It doesn't change the gear ratios, make the smart faster or add horsepower and NO, it is not the same as quickly mashing the pedal to the floor.

Most modern vehicles no longer have a cable from the gas pedal to the engine bay. Rather they are "drive by wire" which loosely described means that the gas pedal potentiometer sends a signal down the wire to the vehicles brain announcing that the human is pressing down on the pedal, time to go.

Some manufacturers (smart) map this response slower than others and with the smart mix-master transmission this can result in sluggish response. Pedal mapping (standard on both after market CC's) shortens the response time making the car feel more responsive.

You will feel faster in the "seat of your pants" but will be hard pressed to prove it with a stop watch. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I do not have cruise control, so in your opinion, is the Go Pedal worth 300 bucks?
My :2cents: - yes and no.

$300 is a lot of money for only the Go Pedal mapping feature, then again the 30 free trial takes some of the angst out of your gamble?

Do you take "road trips" in your smart such that a cruise might be handy? Were it me I would add $200 to the equation and get the pedal mapping AND CC.

Then you have that crossroad of which CC, and I have owned both. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts