Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of watching the youtube videos, reading all the smart car forums, and saving every smart car photo I could possibly google on an iphone, I headed to the big D smart center to make my purchase!

A few hours later, BAM! Rear ended just outside Galleria Dallas. I couldn't believe it! I thought, this DID NOT just happen. I got out, walked to the back of the car, imagining the unimaginable sight of my smart, crushed by the impact... but was shocked to find just 2 small cracks in the rear plastic panels. The rather large Mercury Mountaineer SUV that hit me... well, he said he felt as if he had hit a brick wall. His front bumber was hanging off, his fog light, gone, front end, crushed. After the initial shock wore off, we all stood back in amazement that this little bitty smart car took such an impact with only 2 little cracks!! Too bad I'm not a salesperson... I believe I could have sold this guy a smart car right then and there. We were all very impressed with how the smart held up.

Anyway, the smart is in the body shop right now. The other guy's insurance company is covering all the damage. It will be 2 weeks for the parts to be shipped from France. We will still be able to drive the car while waiting for the parts. Damage was really really minimal.

I have got to say, there are not too many small cars that can be slammed by a large SUV in agressive Dallas traffic, and come out smelling like a rose. I am absolutely impressed. Can't wait to get my new panels!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
It doesn't have "S" class safety cell DNA for no reason.
Built lke a Brick $hi+ house on the inside, runway model on the outside, and drives like a street legal go kart.

I'm so glad you were not in a tata Nano. GLAD YOU ARE OKAY!
Glad you are HERE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing I can't believe is my smart was sooo blasted cheap! Got a 2008 Smart Passion coupe with 15,000 miles, 5 yr. 100,000 mile warranty, payments less that $200/month, and it takes 16 bucks to fill up... not only that... Cheap to fix!!! What is there not to love about this car??

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It really sucks to get hit just after getting the car. I'm glad you're OK and your smart will be OK after a trip to the shop.

In addition to posting your story in safeandsmart.com: home if you have photos, be sure to post them too.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
What an awesome story. I'm glad nobody seemed to be hurt, and am also totally impressed by the contrast in damage between the two vehicles. I just got my smart a week ago, and have had multiple people express concern for my safety (which is nice that they care!). I just keep telling them stories like this. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Nobody ever mentions this, but a thought....... have 'em check the seat frame(s) that were occupied. Got rearended years ago, and it seriously bent the bucket seat frame. Good luck, and glad you are ok.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Been there. Drove until the parts came in. But, not hit on the day I bought it. Glad to hear that you are now a firm believer. Let the fun begin

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Excellent story and welcome to SCOA. You are not the first person to get in an accident right after you purchased it. Hope it isn't a new trend.

Anyhow, jokes aside, we are glad you are okay and you smart car will be even happier when it is sitting in your driveway unharmed ad looking newer than ever.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
now you will have to get a little picture of a truck to put on the fender. One picture for each truck that you destroy...

·
Registered
38 Posts
If MB were smart they would build an advertising campaign around this. Personally, I'm tired of being asked if I feel safe driving this car.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts