Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finally bought our first smart car ? 2009 passion. 72,000 miles. We are in pa found it in NY drove over 4 hours and get it rented a U-Haul and brought her home ? it was sitting for 6 months in a pole barn. Former owners very nice and honest . They filled the tank for us prior to us picking it up. We took it off trailer and it smelled like raw gas. Drove it up and down the road , sometimes it smells sometimes it don’t . We have been reading up on line and seems like it’s either the fuel pump or just over filled. Comes thru heat vents whenever they are on. If it’s over fill how long does it take to stop? And how does my husband figure out which one it is ? And any other suggestions what it might be? Former owner swears it did not do this before , and so far they have been completely honest with us .

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome to the group ! Could be they topped it off way too much , ESPECIALLY if they used a gas can to top it off . Run it and don’t overfill it , ever . (“Like it says on the fill door . )

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you overfill the fuel tank you will flood the charcoal cannister & you will smell gasoline until the charcoal cannister drys out by using up the excess fuel. When refueling a smart car, do not try to top off the tank. When the nozzle clicks off, stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much . The people that we bought it from that filled it before we picked it up said they didn’t over fill but you never know . Her son filled it so it’s a possibility. Any idea how long it takes for it to dry out ? Can it be removed and dried quicker ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
There's also the possibility that the outlet port on your fuel pump has cracked. :( Several other members here have had that happen to them.

Try turning the ignition on (no need to start the vehicle), crawl underneath and sniff around the gas tank. If it is the pump, the source will not be visible as it is on top of the tank, but you may see/smell some drips.

~toaster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses , Russ will be looking at it again this weekend , hopefully it’s just overfill ? just wanna drive it , warm weather coming up and ready to drive the lil **** ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update the smell of gas seems to be minimizing after I have driven it further today. But I pulled into a parking spot at turkey hill and it didn’t want to go in reverse ? I turned it off and back on a few times and not R came up in reverse. Finally I took it down to drive and then back up to reverse and the R came up and I could back it up , any ideas ????? Love it hope we don’t have a lemon ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
When you park on hills it confuses I guess the transmission sometimes. In order to avoid that, with the foot on the brake, while in drive or neutral engage the ebrake, and then put in park. When ready to drive off engage the desired gear first and while holding your foot in the brake sure l disengage the ebrake.
Update the smell of gas seems to be minimizing after I have driven it further today. But I pulled into a parking spot at turkey hill and it didn’t want to go in reverse ? I turned it off and back on a few times and not R came up in reverse. Finally I took it down to drive and then back up to reverse and the R came up and I could back it up , any ideas ????? Love it hope we don’t have a lemon ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your response ? turkey hill is a mini mart here in pa . I wasn’t parked on on hill it was a level spot in front of the store

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
my car has done that a few times with no rhyme or reason for it. Usually if I put it in D and then in R it seems to always work. A few days ago when I had to leave it sit after the front right spring broke it didn't want to go into gear right so I did the trans teach and it worked fine after that. again no real reason for it. At home it is always facing downhill at night and I don't recall it happening at home, mostly on level ground....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts