Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I've owned 4 different smart cars - each for a different purpose.

Recently, I began looking for a project to tide me over until fishing season arrives.

I found a 2008 smart cabrio in need of an engine replacement.

After a total of 1 month of work, waiting for parts from Mercedes and grandchild interruptions, I am finally back on the road with my rejuvenated smart.

Up front, I would say that the project is much more difficult than you might read in other forums, along with many pitfalls that will cost you time, effort and money.

Was it worth it? Well, I have a cute little "pocket car" that runs and drives like a new car and the satisfaction of having done it myself.:

If anyone is interested in my experience with the swap, along with pics and advice, just reply to this post with your specific questions / comments and I'll do my best to reply with helpful information.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Over the years, I've owned 4 different smart cars - each for a different purpose.

Recently, I began looking for a project to tide me over until fishing season arrives.

I found a 2008 smart cabrio in need of an engine replacement.

After a total of 1 month of work, waiting for parts from Mercedes and grandchild interruptions, I am finally back on the road with my rejuvenated smart.

Up front, I would say that the project is much more difficult than you might read in other forums, along with many pitfalls that will cost you time, effort and money.

Was it worth it? Well, I have a cute little "pocket car" that runs and drives like a new car and the satisfaction of having done it myself.:

If anyone is interested in my experience with the swap, along with pics and advice, just reply to this post with your specific questions / comments and I'll do my best to reply with helpful information.
Did you make any mods/upgrades to the installed engine? Did you install a remanufactured engine or transplant a used one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine I installed was from a totaled 2009 smart that had 29k on the clock (front-end collision) that I found at a local salvage yard.
Since it was low miles, I also installed the alternator, starter and clutch from the same donor.
The only changes I made were to replace both the valve cover gasket and spark plug well gaskets / spark plugs with iridiums. Of course, I changed the oil, filter, coolant and the 3 hoses that connect to the chassis pipes underneath the car. I made no mods at all - just reused parts that I could and kept everything as stock as possible. Since my smart just had an A/C compressor replaced, I saved that cost, as well. It made sense to do as much as possible with the engine / tranny out of the car - space after the motor is installed is minimal.
Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am just about to hit 32,000 miles on my 2014, are the three hoses something to be aware/concerned about? Had you replaced the ac compressor yourself or had it serviced out?
Its great to hear you replaced the engine and back on the road, as these Smarts appear to keep their cosmetic shape very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just keep your filters clean and oil and filter fresh and you'll do fine - no worries. You might want to upgrade to iridium plugs, if yours are the originals. Also, a periodic Techron treatment is good to keep the fuel system clean.

The A/C was done by the local MB dealer just before I bought the car. I did do the recharge myself.

The hoses aren't a normal service item. I replaced them because I had to cut them to get the engine out of the car.

I failed to mention that I also got the 29k catalytic converter along with the engine. I replaced brakes front and rear (went with slotted rotors and ceramic pads in front - very cool) and replaced all fluids, including transmission (Royal Purple), brake fluid and coolant.

Yes, the smart does keep its appearance well. Despite having over 146k on the clock, mine still looks great and will spend the rest of its life as my grocery getter and as a toad behind my motorhome.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts