Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2009 Smart Car fortwo passion today. The car only came with one key, so I figured it would probably be $100 to replace it. Well, much to my surprise, the key is going to cost $300 and 2 trips (12 hours) in the car to the only Smart dealer in Michigan!! They won't even order the key unless I physically go there to present the title, (won't let me fax) and then I have to go back to get the key programmed once it comes in. I asked if I could fax a copy of the paperwork to get the key ordered and then physically bring it in once I go to get it programmed and still NO. I am so angry about the cost and the inconvenience of it all. I wish I had never purchased the car at all! I had no idea that there was only 1 dealer in this whole state. I asked Smart Car customer service what I would have had to do if there wasn't any dealers in MI and she said I would have had to drive to another state to get that key! Ive called multiple locksmith too, and they all say the same thing, "we don't have the capability to cut and program those keys". Very unhappy :(

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Ah, I understand your pain...... but...... you should have come here and trolled around awhile BEFORE your purchase. You would have know about the key issue and gotten the extra key put in the buyer's order. Or, gotten a few hundred more off the selling price. The dealer issue is also discussed at length here. That said all of this is NOT the cars fault. Remember the old "buyer beware". And welcome aboard you have just purchased one of the most unique cars available on this side of the pond. Enjoy it as life to way TOO short to be unhappy.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Sorry to hear about the key; sometimes a little research before the purchase can avoid these situations. Try contacting SOS Redirect, one of our supporting vendors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Research

I realize that I should have researched it more, but the dealer told me that any Mercedes dealer could service the car and cut the key. I didn't even realize there was no second key until I picked it up, hence not researching the whole spare key thing!

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
And no, any Mercedes dealer cannot service the car - only those that carry the smart brand. Sounds like the dealer has some 'splainin' to do. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
For all makes/models, long gone are the days of cheap keys. Your costly missing spare key would have been a similar story for any modern car.

Rather than being mad at smart, take it as a lesson learned: Make sure you know what's included with your car purchase, and what's not.

You might take up the issue with the seller, after-the-fact, and see if s/he is willing to split the cost.

It's very odd that you didn't bother to check where dealers were located, for your future service and parts needs.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Sorry to hear about the key; sometimes a little research before the purchase can avoid these situations. Try contacting SOS Redirect, one of our supporting vendors.
Jwight is correct SOS diagnostics is your answer. I too was down to just one key which accidentally got damaged. I sent my car's module in with a few used keys that I had purchased on E-bay. Once it was installed it worked perfectly and now I have 4 working keys, they were even able to repair my damaged key. They will unlock the used keys and reprogram the module. Saving you tons of $$$$$

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Let me guess, you obviously got this pre-owned, from a non-smart dealer and probably not even an MB dealer?

I would venture to say Carmax? (I know they take in alot of pre-owned smarts and aren't always up front about keys, and other things that usually come standard)

While you are at your "local" smart dealer for service, ask a salesperson to give you the "FULL delivery presentation walk around" (should take at least 30 min?)

Between now and then, browse around this site for good general info and ask any specific questions that you might have?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,858 Posts
Understand you not being happy but it is hardly the smarts bad. It's just another hi tech, high dollar key not unlike that found on many newer vehicles.

Guard your ONE key until you have a spare made as the price without a key would make you VERY unhappy.

Welcome to SCoA, enjoy your new smart.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
I helped my son a few years ago buy a used Taurus from a ford dealer and made sure it specified two keys and fobs for the keyless entry in the contract. It was delivered with one set, so we went back for the second set. They wanted over $200 then for a key and fob, like the smart has in one unit. I got it free because it was in the contract but had to argue for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats on your smart - another one from Michigan! :D

S.O.S. Diagnostics

If SOS can't help you, you can always just make a weekend trip of it, plus it'll give you a great chance to drive the Smart all the way down 75... :) Is there anything else that upsets you about your car? It sounds like you're mostly venting (which is completely fine), and maybe this whole "issue" won't be such a big thing in a few days after you've drove your car a bit..?

This forum is full of info - best of luck to you! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My biggest issue is that they want me to drive 6 hours total to bring them my title before they will even order the key! I could fax proof and pay with a credit card, then when the key comes in, bring the original title and my driver's license and get the key programmed to the car. They won't do it! They say it's a theft issue, but I wouldn't even have the key in my possession until I go down with the car, license and title to get it programmed! You tell me if that makes sense or not!

·
Super Moderator
7,858 Posts
They say it's a theft issue . . .
You tell me if that makes sense or not!
Yep in this specialized, litigious world we live in - MAKES SENSE!

Part of the burden of owning an "exotic" smart fortwo - a niche vehicle for which there is a very spotty smart Center network . . .

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Not sure what to tell you - either you want a 2nd key or you don't. Guess you can try calling the 800 number and have smart USA weigh in if all else fails. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe...and this is just a maybe...

...you can go to your local MB dealer to start the process. They can order the key and they can prove you have title...they tell the distant smart dealer that you have been verified.

...but you will still have to pick it up and have it programmed at a smart dealer.

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
I am so angry about the cost and the inconvenience of it all. I wish I had never purchased the car at all! I had no idea that there was only 1 dealer in this whole state. I asked Smart Car customer service what I would have had to do if there wasn't any dealers in MI and she said I would have had to drive to another state to get that key!
First of all, welcome! :)

I understand your fury about the situation, but it's hardly the car's (or smartUSA's) fault.

When you go car buying you should thoroughly research the vehicle before making a decision. Had you spent maybe even just an hour here you would've learned that these cars have two keys, get charged up the wall for key replacement, and have a very tiny dealer network.

And you're in for a good one if you ever need a repair done to it. :eek:

But yes, try S.O.S. as well as the other alternatives. Best of luck in your early misadventure.

Also, might I suggest that you charge the delivering dealer the tab because they failed to give you a second key? :)

·
Super Moderator
7,858 Posts
Also, might I suggest that you charge the delivering dealer the tab because they failed to give you a second key? :)
Selling dealer failed to "give" a second key? Good luck with that if it wasn't written into the conditions of sale.

Guess we can make up "the rules" as we go here but last I knew you can sell a car with 2, 1 or even NO KEY . . . :confused:

Caveat Emptor!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts