Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read through the manual and set my departure time to 8am.

I plugged it in at 11pm and set the led to 2. But it never started flashing.

Checked on the car this morning, batt power actually went down 5%.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
From what I've read, most issues like this happen to be related to the outlet itself (typically faulty or insufficient grounding). Are you using a 110v outlet or a 240v charger? Does it happen with every outlet? Extension cord? Any other description of what happens when trying to charge (no departure/delay set) would probably help point toward a root cause.

Congrats on the car :) currently waiting for delivery and I can't wait for mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a dead outlet in my garage before due to a faulty Ground Fault Interrupt circuit. Had to replace the outlet with the ground fault switch to get the other one to work.

Plug something in to see if the outlet is working.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 110V EVSE (aka charger) that comes with the car is quite good in my opinion, as the wiring in my garage (made in 1920) is not modern by any stretch.

Try plugging in something like a power drill to ensure the outlet works well.

The delayed charging feature on the Smart ED does not wait to charge, in my case at least, the LED lights on the EVSE flash right away, so I know the car is well connected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Might also set it to email you at a preset state of charge. I have mine notify me at 90%

Dear customer,

your vehicle has been charged up to 91%.

Kind regards

Your Vehicle Homepage Team

This is an automated message, please do not reply. You have received this message because automatic email notifications for when the following state of charge has been reached have been activated for your account [email protected] You can deactivate these messages by visiting the Vehicle Homepage at:
smart: http://vh.smart.com/

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A charging problem I've had (and this is the only problem with the car so far) is that a rubber boot around the charging connector prevents the latch of some charger handle styles from engaging and the handle button moving to the up position - necessary for charging to start. A little grease (silicone grease is probably best) on the upper part of the rubber boot, where the latch goes in, fixes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.