Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just when we thought spring may actually start up here in chicagoland we're supposed to get another 3 - ?? inches, so this will be my first time actually driving my smart in the snow, anyone have any suggestions? I come from a chrysler 300m, so a big FWD and I know it will probably be a big change for me so I'll be curious to see how it handles.

·
17,345 Posts
Fellow Northern Illinois resident here. The current forecast calls for 3-10 inches (depending on area) and blizzard-like conditions.

That's the beauty of Meteorology. If it's unseasonably warm for no good reason, you can expect a pretty nice Low to pass through very soon after!

Anyway, just take it slow and don't rush things. If you get yourself into deeper snow, try your best to maintain momentum. If you lose it entirely you may get stuck.

If you do get stuck (or feel like drifting), do this trick:

Be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Remember, this car has been driven to the end of the Alaskan Hiway in the dead of winter. It has excellent traction due to the amidship engine just infront of the rear wheels. Traction control, Electronic stability program, and antilock brakes. If the car is headed other than the direction the steering angle sensor detects from the input of the steering wheel, the brakes are applied at the appropriate wheel or the power is cut until the vehicle is back in compliance. It really is quite smart.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Just a guess but the stock BRABUS tires are a bit wide for good snow performance. Let us know how it goes.... :)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Just a guess but the stock BRABUS tires are a bit wide for good snow performance. Let us know how it goes.... :)
..you're sooooo right...and even with the hair dryer in low is still doable...
...virgin snow is no problem...but the "brown mush" is a hand full to keep tracking where you want it to....

Jetfuel...just taking my time does it...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Please!!! :p

I just shoveled the entire 2-lane driveway at our new place so we can move stuff in, and now Central New York is supposed to see up to ONE FOOT by tomorrow morning. My blisters have blisters...

COME ON!!! I want the Smart back out already!

A coworker and myself are banking on April 1st. He's got ants in his pants because he wants his Mustang back out too.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Please!!! :p

I just shoveled the entire 2-lane driveway at our new place so we can move stuff in, and now Central New York is supposed to see up to ONE FOOT by tomorrow morning. My blisters have blisters...

COME ON!!! I want the Smart back out already!

A coworker and myself are banking on April 1st. He's got ants in his pants because he wants his Mustang back out too.
Ever heard of a snow blower ??? :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ever heard of a snow blower ??? :D
I hear they're nice, but I absolutely refuse to spend the money on one when I know this fluffy stuff will end someday, and that purchase can wait half a year - or until the Summer sales of places trying to get rid of them.

It's lawnmower hunting season now, baby! We have a huge yard, and I'll be darned if I'm push-mowing that sucker every other week.

The other half said I could get a riding lawnmower with a snowplow / snowblower attachment. She said it, so I'm going with it! Knocking out two birds with one stone!

The poor man new house blues sings the woes of only a shovel.

·
17,345 Posts
And that snow was surprisingly weak. Storm track moved south and the WI-IL border got a light dusting, if that. So light the roads were dry this morning.

However, here at work (20 direct miles south of my house) there's about six or so inches of powder and the roads were pretty much covered in ice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'm in the western burbs and it was kinda sad, Few inches, Plowed right through with no problems, Only issue I had was backing out of my drive since plow made a mound at the end of the driveway.

·
17,345 Posts
Woody, the problem wasn't how much snow we got, rather how much snow was promised that we didn't get. :)

They said 6-10 inches at the Wisconsin border and much more south, but the temperatures didn't drop far enough and the storm moved too far south...and we ended up with some rain and a sprinkle of snow.

Indiana got hammered though. The storm strengthened leaving Chicago and was joined by lake effect from Lake Michigan...a double whammy...

·
17,345 Posts
The NYE snow was bad (IL DOT's plows are slow to react to big storms) but other than that it's been a constant annoyance of "snow, freeze, freeze, snow, freeze, melt, snow, freeze".

It's about time we've seen some warmth. I don't think I can take much more of this Winter!!! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The NYE snow was bad (IL DOT's plows are slow to react to big storms) but other than that it's been a constant annoyance of "snow, freeze, freeze, snow, freeze, melt, snow, freeze".

It's about time we've seen some warmth. I don't think I can take much more of this Winter!!! :)
I love the cold but I'm definitely sick of all the Ice. I'll be happy around 50 degrees, and that's it. no hotter.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm enjoying the little extension of cabrio season. It will slam shut all too soon. And will remain locked tight until Halloween.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts