Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if other people have this problem. i am a conservative driver and always try and leave space between the car ahead and me (even tho i may still be a little closer). and people consistantly pull in and take up that "safe" space just because i am a small car. this is really getting to be a pet peeve of mine. when i drove my pt cruiser before it was totaled i never had this problem and am still leaving the same space.....it's something about a smaller car and i am curious as to the mindset of people that do this.

has anyone else had or noticed this?

i have learned not to park up to the curb but take up as much space a a regular sized car the way i have some people whip into a parking spot. i've yet to have someone ask me why i park so far out.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
yes. facts are you are driving a small car and they like to pick on you. Smile and wave... it drives them crazy! I have had cars almost clip the front bumper cutting into the lane in front of me, and try to do a lane change into the same spot that I am in. Watch out for the other guy!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have that happen all the time as well, but I can be an (censored) too. Usually if you're beside me and hit your indicator I'll let up to let you in. If you cut me off and then slow down, I'll be sitting in your back seat (I'm very good at judging distance.) I won't speed up, but if you wanted in front of me at 80mph in the left lane you better keep up the pace with traffic in front of me moving the same pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Get used to it....Getting cut off, getting pushed out of the way, getting "sooted " by diesel pick -up trucks, getting tailgated constanly, getting to have a slower car speed up on you when you try to pass said slower car and list goes on. Been there done that.....It's a fact of smart driving.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I can relate to this big time and have proof that the little size of this car has relation to tailgating . I also own a rather large 4x4 full size jacked up van with gigantic bumpers front and back that send a imposing note that if you tailgate and miss that brake , you are getting the damage , hence , no one tailgates me in the van .. the Smart on the other hand seems to invite the opposite , and I get tailgated huge in the small car , it amazing how close some get , to the point that I almost have a phobia I'm getting rear ended .. it's weird.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yea... you'll get plenty of that. That's why if someone's tailgating me, I won't really go any quicker than i am... sometimes a little slower til they get the point. If they still don't get the point, and we come up to a stop light or a stop sign... I blast (or as fast as a little .9L turbo can "blast") off the line and leave them behind me. I think that's part of the problem people have with the Smart. They think "City car" = slow car. I usually try to prove them wrong. haha

And pretty sure every Smart owner has learned about parking in parking lots. I always park so i'm about in line with the car(s) next to me, simply because of how you pointed out that they drive... whip into a space like they'd die if someone got it first.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I find that I adopt a bicyclist's mindset when I get behind the wheel of my smart. Or, if it makes better sense, consider yourself among the motorcyclists. I prefer the bicycle analogy, as motorcycles are loud and can go very fast, whereas the bicycle and its rider seem to irritate a number of drivers who find they can't wait to get around the spandex-clad pedal pusher.

My primary car is an AMG-equipped E350 Coupe, and it has all the get-up-and-go I could want. Despite having a powerful, agile car, I always maintain a two second interval between me and the car in front, and when I come to a stop behind another car, I always make sure I can see that car's rear bumper. That's the way I learned to drive, and I've never seen a reason to change it.

So yes, I change my driving habits (and my attitude) depending on which car I drive. That doesn't mean there aren't still jerks on the road, and they I just let their behavior go, like water rolling off a duck's back.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wish there was some way to install and extendable pointed bar for the tailgaters and those that like to sit on your bumper at traffic lights...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts