Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the FIRST car I have ever had that can't chirp the tires (no rain or ice transitioning to dry).

Has anyone ever got their 451 (all 70 HP and below) to do so?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Plenty of times! I've even gotten it on two wheels a few times. If you're determined enough, these cars can do anything you want them to.

Reactions: tim_arkansas

·
Registered
729 Posts
I’ve gotten a little chirp out of my gas smart a few times taking a turn too fast. The electric smart? Any time there’s a bit of water on the road and I turn I can get it to jump the back end over a few inches before the TCS says “nope”.

When it’s time for new rear tires I want to do donuts in the ED.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Back in the day, none of our automatic cars could chirp the tires in the dry. I'm talking an '84 Accord with 82 HP, a '90 Corolla with maybe 95 HP, and a '93 Previa with 124 HP. Once we replaced that Previa with an '02 Odyssey with 240 HP, my wife said we'd never go down in power from there ever again and we haven't, except for our ED. It is our only chirpless vehicle. I am sure the motor and battery have the capability, but the programming to limit how fast battery power can be applied from a stop really neuters the performance off the line.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
That's a bodykit, it's a vent! :)

IIRC, those aren't smart wheels. Barney made one heck of a fast smart using an engine ripped out of a Toyota Paseo with a giant blower slapped on for good measure.

·
Registered
386 Posts
this is the FIRST car I have ever had that can't chirp the tires (no rain or ice transitioning to dry).

Has anyone ever got their 451 (all 70 HP and below) to do so?
Yup, though probably not great for the car. Or just get an old windshield washer bottle with pump from the wrecker, mount in the back with twin outlets in front of each back tire. Fill with bleach and smoke everyone off the line.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
That's a bodykit, it's a vent! :)

IIRC, those aren't smart wheels. Barney made one heck of a fast smart using an engine ripped out of a Toyota Paseo with a giant blower slapped on for good measure.
You can make your own vents for pennies. Get you a roll of that plastic mesh that keeps leaves out of your gutters and some epoxy glue. I put in LED's and even one to iluminate behind the vent. It also works for the rear valance. DCO

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Do those LEDs still work, DCO? Last time I tried lights that tiny, it took all of one or two Illinois winters to short them out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, thank you Jo. my handle since 1965 has been "4speed"....because I was so good at speed shifting and my first name sounds like the infamous GM Muncie 4 speed transmission but is spelled different

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Yes they do still work, but I normally let Max hang out in the garage in snowy weather unless I needed him. But with the lift and tires that may change now. As stupid as it sounds, when I dropped the engine to fix the burnt valves I meticulously cleaned the engine, transmission and underneath to a shiny state of aluminum. Driving in the salt just causes it to corrode and look terrible. I know it sounds stupid to the average person but I endeavor to take care of my baby car. I have an old truck for the salty stuff. I did have issues with the LED's I installed in the rear axle caps and I just replaced thise with metal surround pilot lamp led's. I guess it was all the pothole vibrations from the axle. DCO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts