Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read in a couple threads here, that the 451's ECU can handle up to 5psi without a piggyback. I was thinking about doing something low key, like a k03 or k04, with no intercooler, and no piggyback. Keeping it very simple, and safe. I'd probably want more, but maybe a simple system is the way to go for the initial voiding of my warranty.

The k03s are plentiful, and cheap. I like that, and a tiny turbo should help the most down low where I really could use the help. I'm not so concerned with redline HP.

Would I need larger injectors for this turbo with 5psi?
I'd use a div/bov whether I need it or not.
I can make the flanges and pipes on the cheap. I'm a tool maker, and I know plenty of aerospace welders, so I shouldn't have too much to invest into a system.

I'd love to have a 130 hp smart, but I don't want to put in the work that comes with ragged edge performance. I used to own a 84 Fiero with a 355 small block, and after it's 4th transmission, I was so sick of it that I sold it cheap just to be rid of it. I want a little performance, not a race car.

*bonus* If I do install a turbo, all the haters will be happy to note that my subs would have to go, as they make it very hard to get to the engine!

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In my opinion, you really don't notice much seat-of-the-pants acceleration until you reach 12PSI... With a V8 with lots of displacement, 5PSI will give you a kick -- but the Smart's 999cc's will need more boost to make it noticeable. Also, for the it's size, the Smart is kinda heavy. That's the price for having a very strong and stiff passenger cab. If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing a turbo, I'd really recommend just doing it right the first time. You can 'fab it all yourself, but I think you're going to want at least 12PSI. That means a piggy-back CPU, much larger injectors, an intercooler and tuning. There have been other forum members who found used SFR turbo kits at greatly reduced prices -- take-offs from cars which were being sold (cars often require a smog test when changing owners). The SFR kits are also coming up to the Kalifornia smog time deadline (new cars get 6 years before requiring their first biennial smog test in Kalifornia). This may prompt many SFR turbo users to revert their cars back to stock and sell them -- and more of these used SFR turbo kits might end up on the market...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
As the saying goes, "NA sucks"... 12 pounds or 5 pounds, its all positive pressure... As for simplicity, expense, and least amount of hassle a 5 pound system would be the answer...
As Gearhead pointed out your not going to get the kick in the seat but you will be impressed at how much easier the car can tool down the freeway and climb hills without going to the basement to find a gear to pull...I have a high,low switch on mine and most of the time I have it on low which maxes out at 8 PSI...Plenty of fun...But I do have all the bells and whistles so don't get greedy on the 5 pounds and you'll be just fine with stock controls...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not wanting to have to buy two turbo's if I want better later, I want to do this with a GT1544v. I like the V band outlet on the hot side. Cuts down fabrication costs a bit.

Where should I buy the turbo? All I'm finding are Chinese vendors. While a $250 turbocharger would be nice, I'm just afraid it's gonna be a POS.

Does anyone but SFR make a header for the smart?

·
Registered
912 Posts
smartmadness sells a complete kit ... I know nothing about them other than what's visible in the pic. It keeps the stock exhaust manifold and catalyst (quasi-emissions-legality).

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Not to my knowledge... A simple analog style like I once produced would be the easiest and cheaper route to go... Think I still have some exhaust manifold flanges left...Pictures in market place... As for a Garrett turbo I bought from a genuine distributor nearby...

·
Registered
312 Posts
In my opinion, you really don't notice much seat-of-the-pants acceleration until you reach 12PSI... With a V8 with lots of displacement, 5PSI will give you a kick -- but the Smart's 999cc's will need more boost to make it noticeable. Also, for the it's size, the Smart is kinda heavy. That's the price for having a very strong and stiff passenger cab. If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing a turbo, I'd really recommend just doing it right the first time. You can 'fab it all yourself, but I think you're going to want at least 12PSI. That means a piggy-back CPU, much larger injectors, an intercooler and tuning. There have been other forum members who found used SFR turbo kits at greatly reduced prices -- take-offs from cars which were being sold (cars often require a smog test when changing owners). The SFR kits are also coming up to the Kalifornia smog time deadline (new cars get 6 years before requiring their first biennial smog test in Kalifornia). This may prompt many SFR turbo users to revert their cars back to stock and sell them -- and more of these used SFR turbo kits might end up on the market...

Gearhead would the engine be able to handle 12psi on stock internals?
What would be the max psi the internals would be able to handle, then I can drop it down a few psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts