Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the funnier moments in SCoA history is when I made a comment (years ago) about people getting rock chips in their windscreens.

It went a little something like this: "You mean to tell me that this car can take on large vehicles head on, and the windshield stays intact, yet it can't even take a little pebble at highway speed? :rofl2:

Well, karma got me back...good...

Last night I was passing a Ford F-150 in Bro Truck trim when I guess it decided it didn't like that...

Anyway, I'm currently looking into my insurance policy to see if it covers glass.

What should my first steps be about this???? It's about the size of a dime and is somewhat deep.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
You can call a company like Crack Attack and they will glue it to keep those rays from spreading if you do it before the temp. changes. If you wait at all, those rays will spread all the way across the glass forcing a glass replacement. The glue repair is quick, cheap, and will make it virtually un-noticeable if it is not directly in your line of sight. Some insurance will cover the super glue fix without a deductible. If they won't cover it without a deductible, it is still cheaper than the deductible for the glass change out.

IT is a cool process.... They apply a suction cup, pull a vacuum on the spot and inject an ultraviolet curing cyanoacrylate type superglue. Cure it with ultraviolet light and scrape the excess off with a razor blade and polish it smooth and clear as glass. The repair is hardly visible, and the cracks are glued together so they don't run further.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My brother regularly purchases cars from auto auctions, and I know in the past he has had cracks repaired with some sort of clear epoxy, without replacing the glass. The last one I saw was a BMW 650i and I couldn't tell where the crack used to be after inspecting it. I'm not sure if a similar process is available for chips, but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
If its in the direct vision segment of the glass. the insurance company will replace it no questions asked... Thats what you need to "PUSH" for... (take charge of the situation)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
If it's not in the drivers field of view, it can be repair, really easy. You will see be able to see the fix.

Don't tailgate.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
...you're done...the little cracks will start to move as the temperature on the screen changes..no magic glue can hold that...

Jetfuel...club member...ask Michael....he got me an invitation

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its in the direct vision segment of the glass. the insurance company will replace it no questions asked... Thats what you need to "PUSH" for... (take charge of the situation)
The little bugger is right above the tachometer, so I'm looking at it all the time!

So, looks like the first step should be to contact a glass repair company and have my insurance foot the bill. I'll definitely do that today as I hate looking at it and I don't want it to spread.

Thanks y'all! :)

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...you're done...the little cracks will start to move as the temperature on the screen changes..no magic glue can hold that...

Jetfuel...club member...ask Michael....he got me an invitation
That's what I fear, Jet.

This baby is DEEP. Like when I rub my fingers along the inside of the window, I can feel a "bubble" where the chip is. Any faster speed (or bigger rock), I bet it would've cracked the inner layer of the window too.

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take your fist, and hit it on the inside. Watch the chip spread.

Find out what your deductible is before doing that.
I can't hit it without breaking the tach. :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
My daughter got 2 chips. One right under the wiper passenger side. The other in the drivers view. Both have been there 2 years, haven't spread yet.

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good to know, smark!

Of course, every chip isn't the same, so I'll still look into fixing it before it gets the chance to get worse.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Yours looks really big. A lot of times they will fix your chips free. Check it out, you got nothing to loose. What bother me in replacement, the glass company scratching up the A pillar paint. Even if they tape it up. Not too many cars out there, where the glass sits below the A pillar.

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point!

Anyone have any experience with Safelite???

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Good point!

Anyone have any experience with Safelite???
I used Safelite on my RV .... great work, came right to the house :)

I had a chip like that on mine the 2nd week of ownership ......

I fixed it myself with one of those windshield repair kits at the auto store for $10 .... You can fix it as long as the cracks haven't started to run .....

5 years later, same windshield, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin ....... YMMV :D

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Insurer says they do not cover glass at all, they don't even offer it. Guess that's what happens when you save money by working with a small time insurance company.

$60 for the repair via Safelite. Ouch, a little hefty, but less expensive than a brand new windscreen.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Insurer says they do not cover glass at all, they don't even offer it. Guess that's what happens when you save money by working with a small time insurance company.

$60 for the repair via Safelite. Ouch, a little hefty, but less expensive than a brand new windscreen.
That's the going rate for the repair ... they will drill it making the whole slightly larger and then seal it with heat...when they are done, you should not even be able to see the repair :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts