Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cut the interior a pillar trim, scraped paint off across the top and one side, and bunched up the seal at the top. The guy tried telling me it was already like that. When I finally got his boss to own it, they set a guy in a beat up mid 80s minivan to badly match my paint and repair the chips. Completely unprofessional. I'd hAve had a better trade in value with the cracked windshield.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Jeez Neon, what kind of backwoods insurance company do you have? LOL:D:D
I have Erie, which is a regional company so probably not even available where you live. I am VERY familiar with chipped windshields. My first gen xB had 5 repairs in 4 years (look at the shape of the windshield on one, you will see why). They (Erie insurance) actually have a separate 800 number called the "glass line". Call them, give them the info and location of the car, and they send safelite to repair the damage. Deductible waived, no cost to me. Sweet! SAfelite guarantees that repair for life, so no worries. They usually came to my workplace to repair the windshield, so i was not inconvenienced.
Dump that insurance company bud!

·
Registered
536 Posts
State Farm treats me great, and they are cheap. I had to pay out of pocket for Safelite to destroy my car because USAA also didn't cover glass with full coverage. It's not just small companies. USAA is huge, and it's a shame that people trust them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The front windshield is not as expensive as people have made it seem. I remember in the early years people were quoting $900 if you had the rain sensor. Well, my daughter recently got into a minor accident and an object fell on the glass and cracked it. I figure it was going to cost $900, but the auto shop charged the insurance company only $21.60 for the glass and $87.50 for labor. Not super cheap, but far from $900. My guess is they have a way to detach and replace the rain sensor now.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts