Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Fellas,

I tow my Pure behind my motorhome and I am picking up a 8'3" kayak next week. I bought a Yakima roof rack that they say is designed for the smart, which I have yet to install. Yakima fit guides say there is no fit for a smart car roof rack parts to support a kayak, but I have seen pics of a kayak on a smart roof.

I can NOT put the kayak on a trailer as that would make a double tow which is illegal on most roads and the kayak can NOT go on the RV roof because of solar panels. I live in the motorhome full time so putting the kayak on the smart roof is my ONLY option and the kayak will need to be secure as it will travel with us 24/7/365 and we do an 8,000 mile annual curcuit from Seattle to Tampa and back.

The smart does have a rear hitch and I have considered using a pickup style rear support for the kayak, if necessary. I'd prefer as little hardware as possible. Also, I need a way to make the kayak theft resistant while atop the smart. I have Yakima lock cores for the rack.

Ok, so how do I secure a kayak on my Smarty's roof?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Personally if it were me I won't put a yak on a smart roof..... ever. I have a trailer, rack and roll for my hard shells. But when traveling with my motorhome my wife and I use a couple of Pakboat Puffins. These fold up into a package not much larger than a suitcase with including paddles. Believe it our not these are super boats not the cheap inflatable ones you may be thinking about. However, they are a bit pricey. Check out the line at Pakboats Folding Kayak Manufacturer

Here are a couple of pics:

This one without the deck.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Does that yak in a bag fit well in a Smart ? PIX ?

I agree, never any cargo on roof we have enough troubles with roofs as is. :D

Yes, good inflatables cost big money, not Wal-Mart stuff. We use real Zodiacs here. A2Jack

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Does that yak in a bag fit well in a Smart ? PIX ?

I agree, never any cargo on roof we have enough troubles with roofs as is. :D

Yes, good inflatables cost big money, not Wal-Mart stuff. We use real Zodiacs here. A2Jack

Actually, we have two. Both will fit in the back of Max...However only one if you are planning on putting down the top. I met with the owner/designer in VT at the factory a number of years ago. He's originally from Norway, but lives in VT now and travels all over the world with his PakBoats. They can go as carry on with the airlines. The frame is metal and hull is very thick pvc. The ones we have are Puffin 12 with deck and run about $1,000 each. He has special paddles made that break down into four pieces instead of the usual 2. Therefore they also fit in the bag along with your pfd.

Sorry can't do the pix in the car. Max is here in FL with the hard shells and the boats are at our summer place in CT with the audi TT.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
the weight of a Kayak is pretty light so that wouldn't be a problem. The challenge would be how to keep it from blowing off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kayak weighs 39 pounds and is 8' 3" long. I have a Yakima roof rack designed specifically for the smart on the roof, a Demco baseplate on the front and a trailer hitch on the back to use as tie down points.

I know that I could never get over the fear of a puncture while on the water. Buying an inflatable, no mater how good, would be wasted $. Most of the time I will kayak alone with a small dog and a capuchin monkey on calm water only. The dog and I have life vests and the monkey will have a vice grip on me at the first hint of trouble.

I've done more research and it looks like my only option is to buy the kayak foam pieces
that fit over the roof rack cross bars and conform to the hull. Nothing will actually touch the roofing material. I was just hoping for other methods to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Take a look at (for one example) Cabella's. There are a number of trailer-hitch mounted boat racks, designed to, in effect, extend the roof rack beyond the back bumper. Basically a T-bar that plugs into the receiver. Otherwise, find an inexpensive trailer and set it up as a 'yak-hauler.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The kayak weighs 39 pounds and is 8' 3" long. I have a Yakima roof rack designed specifically for the smart on the roof, a Demco baseplate on the front and a trailer hitch on the back to use as tie down points.

I know that I could never get over the fear of a puncture while on the water. Buying an inflatable, no mater how good, would be wasted $. Most of the time I will kayak alone with a small dog and a capuchin monkey on calm water only. The dog and I have life vests and the monkey will have a vice grip on me at the first hint of trouble.

I've done more research and it looks like my only option is to buy the kayak foam pieces
that fit over the roof rack cross bars and conform to the hull. Nothing will actually touch the roofing material. I was just hoping for other methods to consider.
Ahhhhhh, now the name makes sense.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take a look at (for one example) Cabella's. There are a number of trailer-hitch mounted boat racks, designed to, in effect, extend the roof rack beyond the back bumper. Basically a T-bar that plugs into the receiver. Otherwise, find an inexpensive trailer and set it up as a 'yak-hauler.
I can't pull a trailer behind a towed smart. What advantage would a T bar have over the roof rack alone? All the T bars I've found are for a 2" receiver hitch (class III). The smart can only handle a 1.25" (class II) hitch. I could use a 2" to 1.25" adapter, but that with the T bar would add a lot of extra weight. Most likely the T Bar would have to be shortened, too.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts

I have put a roof rack on my little car but it was to hold flags for a parade. I did not secure it to the roof panel but there were rubber coated pads that I attached to the door frame - upper part. I just wish the photo was better. :( The next time I put it on my little car, I will take better pictures and ones on how it was attached.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
OK, this is probably a dumb ?. But with your yak being so short, 8'3", is there any chance of putting the passenger side seat back down and sliding the yak inside down under the passenger side dash? The rear hatch might not close but maybe something could be made to cover the area to prevent water, snow whatever. Now before the flames start I did say it was probably a dumb question. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts