Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I haved owned this for two years without a problem, But Recently it has started blowing the #10 fuse, at first it was when you would shut the car off it just wouldn't restart, change the fuse let it relearn the clutch (because when it blows it locks the gear shift and the P disappears from the cluster) and go on. Then it started blowing every two weeks.

Now after driving home one night the car blew the fuse and kind of stalled out ever since then the Fuse has had a dead short. :shrug:

Can anyone Tell me what that fuse powers, The owners Manual Just says "Engine :rolleyes:" I was under the impression from a page i found that breaks down each fuse.... that it Powered the Secondary air valve, The Injectors and the Upstream o2, checking all those with a test light show power on them with the fuse out

(also Unplugged the clutch actuator and cleaned it, replaced the fuse and it blew)

This thing is driving Me Crazy!

:confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
The electrical diagram (as supplied by MBZ) is difficult to interpret as they included the Electric Drive versions in it too... But, Fuse10 for 1.0L goes to ME-SFI(ME) Control Unit, the Manual Transmission Control Unit, O2 sensor downstream, O2 sensor upstream, Activated Charcoal Filter Shutoff Valve, Camshaft Timing Solenoid, Pressure Regulator Valve and the EGR Switchover Valve.... So your manual is right -- "Engine" it is! That's a lot of stuff to check... You might want to use a scanner for codes to give you a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that is a lot to check, the only code the car ever gave me when it did run was for the purge solenoid, which I am going to replace as soon as I can get the car to start again.

I appreciate the info!

I suppose I will continue the chase today

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To kind of update on this, I still haven’t found the culprit but still picking along at it

So far in order I have unplugged and replaced the fuse to no avail on the following

Upstream o2
Downstream o2
TCM
All 3 Coil Packs
EGR switch valve

Could the charcoal canister valve short out?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fuse #10 cross-connects to the myriad Engine components via connectors, so you might want to check the connectors themselves if you can find them... I once had both seats and ALL of the carpeting out of one of my 451's -- and it was easy to see all of the myriad connectors:

Unfortunately, if you remove the seats you can't power the car on as it'll throw a code which many scanners can't reset. If your scanner can reset the seat airbag codes, then this might make chasing gremlins down a bit easier.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update, I Did end up subscribing to alldata to track wiring and gutted the interior,

Ive Traced my Issue down to A Short to ground on fuse 19, it appears to be crossing over and blowing fuse 10.

Nothing Like pulling every fuse and replacing them one at a time to find your gremlins

Now If I can figure out where they connect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts