Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll start…

1. What specific issues were addressed by the new software update campaign?

2. The debate still hasn't ended on whether the Prime seats are leather, pleather, MB-Tex, a combination of the above, or none of the above.

3. Where is the US-market 453 engine made, and by home? The Monroney sticker indicates Japan, but that is inconsistent with claims from Europe.

4. Any update on the paired phone/mic voice quality issue?

5. Any updates on BRABUS, Tailor Made, or ED features or sales launch timetables?

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, I'll start…

1. What specific issues were addressed by the new software update campaign?

2. The debate still hasn't ended on whether the Prime seats are leather, pleather, MB-Tex, a combination of the above, or none of the above.

3. Where is the US-market 453 engine made, and by home? The Monroney sticker indicates Japan, but that is inconsistent with claims from Europe.

4. Any update on the paired phone/mic voice quality issue?

5. Any updates on BRABUS, Tailor Made, or ED features or sales launch timetables?

Thanks!
Great questions!

1. The newest software flash is designed to fix the issue where the fuel gauge was displaying the incorrect amount of fuel in the tank. Essentially the cars have an 8.7 gallon tank, but the onboard computer thought they were equipped with the European standard 7.4 gallon tank. This caused the fuel light to trigger early and show poor MPG readings because 1.3 gallons or so of gasoline were hidden from the computer.

2. They may not be designo Nappa Leather, but the prime seats are leather!

3. I want to say France as it was developed for this platform with Renault, but I will confirm and look into this.

4. We will have an update in the future. A fix is in the works, but until we're 100% happy with itwe're not releasing them. No timeline, but this is a top priority for Dr. Winkler, so it will be addressed swiftly.

5. We won't see a BRABUS performance model right now, but the appearance package and style accessories are on the way. In fact, the BRABUS accessories brochure is almost ready... No timetable on Tailor Made, but it's my next job after the cabrio is in stores :D. ED is still on for end of year as Dr. Winkler hinted, but things can always change!

Hope that helps, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith's official 453 Q & A thread ;)

Keith, we may need to suggest that the good Dr. Winkler give you a nice raise.

Edit: Although the BRABUS-in-name-only rationale is very disappointing, we can't hold that against you. (Or, can we?)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Keith, we may need to suggest that the good Dr. Winkler give you a nice raise.

Edit: Although the BRABUS-in-name-only rationale is very disappointing, we can't hold that against you. (Or, can we?)
Whoa whoa, the 451 BRABUS suspension and wheel package makes a difference over the stock models. I have a repeat client who owns multiple AMG Mercedes-Benz models, as well as multiple Porsche models who believes his smart BRABUS suspension is stiffer than his Porsche 911 Carrera's. He loves it. So do I. While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only...

Edit: I also own multiple smarts, including an '09 BRABUS cabriolet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Question: I've been told that you cannot order painted replacement body panels for the 453 as you could for the 451, but instead can only get panels which are primed and ready to be painted by a body shop. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Whoa whoa, the 451 BRABUS suspension and wheel package makes a difference over the stock models. I have a repeat client who owns multiple AMG Mercedes-Benz models, as well as multiple Porsche models who believes his smart BRABUS suspension is stiffer than his Porsche 911 Carrera's. He loves it. So do I. While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only...

Edit: I also own multiple smarts, including an '09 BRABUS cabriolet.
That is/was the BRABUS Sport Package - not the same as the EU BRABUS with the uprated engine, just as the 453 with the Sport Package is not the same as the new 453 109 hp BRABUS the EU folks are getting. Horsepower counts with these small engines. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Keith!

I was wondering if the smart media console (touch screen) is going to be available to be installed in my current 2016 model once the 17 arrives.
Hello LexLuthor07! Unfortunately it will not be available as a retrofit. The smart Media-System gets a whole host of new wiring harnesses and even a new center console with an SD-card slot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Question: I've been told that you cannot order painted replacement body panels for the 453 as you could for the 451, but instead can only get panels which are primed and ready to be painted by a body shop. Is this true?
Interesting subject... At the moment there are only primed body panels in stock. The 451 actually started this way, and as we get more data on the most popular colors painted panels for those specific colors will get added to stock. So yes, but most likely not forever.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the moment there are only primed body panels in stock.

Hi Keith. The through-body (non-metallic) colored panels are also stocked, and ready to install, no?

Why did smart switch the raw (pre-painted) molded panel color from black to white for all 453s that get a metallic finish? Some have commented that any rock chips and scratches are more visible with a white substrate.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No promises on Tailor Made, but I hope so.

Again about Tailor Made, will that program be available across the full smart US lineup, I.e., all gas and electric models In both coupe and Cabrio versions?

And once the Tailor Made US program begins, if the ED hasn't yet launched, will Tailor Made then become available concurrent with the ED's launch?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My interest takes a hit every time there is a new announcement and I find it is less likely I can order a car the way I want.

Late summer plus about 2 months for delivery, it is going to be November before a 5 speed cabrio can be had. Just in time for snow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Keith!

Why was no tilt/telescopic steering wheel available for the North American 453?

Why is the 12v cover set at an angle?

Why was JBL chosen as the partner for the Premium Audio? (No complaints, just curious).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Keith!

Why was no tilt/telescopic steering wheel available for the North American 453?

Why is the 12v cover set at an angle?

Why was JBL chosen as the partner for the Premium Audio? (No complaints, just curious).
Hello!

1. More stringent crash test requirements in the states than Europe. (Also I believe Europe only has optional tilt, no telescoping)

2. No idea :shrug:

3. We felt the JBL brand fit smart and its image really well! Of all the Harman brands, JBL tends to be the youngest/most prominent in music festival scenes. They actually sponsor Coachella and we ran a joint program with them at the festival this year and couldn't have been happier with the match.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Again about Tailor Made, will that program be available across the full smart US lineup, I.e., all gas and electric models In both coupe and Cabrio versions?

And once the Tailor Made US program begins, if the ED hasn't yet launched, will Tailor Made then become available concurrent with the ED's launch?
No decisions have been made at this point, but I would imagine they'd apply to all models at some point.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts