Smart Car of America Forum banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The graphite grey matte tridion is also available for the MY17 fortwo coupe, but not the 2016.
Well, my dealer does not have the ability to order me a 2017 coupe with a matte grey tridion yet, so I guess Im waiting a while... :shrug:

He can literally order me any of the other 2017 color combos (red/orange tridion) and Brabus packages... but no matte grey tridion.:crying:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, my dealer does not have the ability to order me a 2017 coupe with a matte grey tridion yet, so I guess Im waiting a while... :shrug:

He can literally order me any of the other 2017 color combos (red/orange tridion) and Brabus packages... but no matte grey tridion.:crying:
Tell your dealer he has to enter "EM1" as the Paint 1 code. It is not on the selectable list but they can type in EM1 to get the grey tridion. Just make sure its EM1 not EN1.

-Dan from smart Center Lynnfield MA

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tell your dealer he has to enter "EM1" as the Paint 1 code. It is not on the selectable list but they can type in EM1 to get the grey tridion. Just make sure its EM1 not EN1.

-Dan from smart Center Lynnfield MA
That's correct, it should take EM1. I will see why it's not showing for some dealers, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's correct, it should take EM1. I will see why it's not showing for some dealers, thank you!

Hey Smart APM, I have some questions that I think you may be the only one to know the answers to:

1) Is the Smart Media option going to be available on the 2017 Cabrio? I know it was kind of hush-hush on the 2016 Coupe order guide, and was never on the US configurator, but I did see one US coupe with the system (It is now sold). This is such a better alternative for someone like myself who has an iPhone 6+ which will not fit in the dock (and I hate aftermarket mounts).

2) There was a post saying that all the color options will be the same (save the tridon/grill changes). Isn’t it true that you can only get the matte white on the Proxy Cabriolet? On all the online invoice order guides (autoblog buy, thecarconnection), it is not listed for the Prime and Passion. I really want a Prime (because of the leather) in matte white. Doesn’t seem possible.

3) When will the configurator for the Cabrio be live? Right now it is difficult to even find the configurator on the US site (it is at the bottom of the home page), since when you click on the model it resorts to showing you inventory rather than building. Maybe they don’t want people ordering cars?

4) Why don’t we get the optional lane departure warning system if we get the optional proximity warning? Isn’t it using the same forward mounted camera anyway?

5) Speaking of question 4, what are all the blank buttons for by your right knee? I imagine the two options from question 4 fit there?

6) Park Sensors seemed to be an option for 2016 for the Coupe. I never saw one in the US with them however. Was it never officially orderable and they dropped the option?

7) You said you can’t order the red with the red tridon/grill because they don’t match. Isn’t that the same case for the matte white paint with the whit tridon/grill? Isn’t one matte and one shiny-hence different finishes? And that combination is orderable.

8) Why is the tachometer/clock optional on the automatic for 2017? It seems strange that it would be standard, but then optional if you get the auto. I get that you need it for shifting the manual, but then why isn’t it standard like it was in 2016? Maybe make it only optional on the passion.

9) Is this the final option list for a 2017 Prime Cabriolet:?
a. Metallic Paint
b. Twinmatic
c. Tachometer/Clock
d. Phone Cradle
e. Floor Trays
f. JBL Audio
g. Sport Pkg or Brabus Pkg
h. Proximity Warning
i. Armrest

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Smart APM, I have some questions that I think you may be the only one to know the answers to:

1) Is the Smart Media option going to be available on the 2017 Cabrio? I know it was kind of hush-hush on the 2016 Coupe order guide, and was never on the US configurator, but I did see one US coupe with the system (It is now sold). This is such a better alternative for someone like myself who has an iPhone 6+ which will not fit in the dock (and I hate aftermarket mounts).

2) There was a post saying that all the color options will be the same (save the tridon/grill changes). Isn’t it true that you can only get the matte white on the Proxy Cabriolet? On all the online invoice order guides (autoblog buy, thecarconnection), it is not listed for the Prime and Passion. I really want a Prime (because of the leather) in matte white. Doesn’t seem possible.

3) When will the configurator for the Cabrio be live? Right now it is difficult to even find the configurator on the US site (it is at the bottom of the home page), since when you click on the model it resorts to showing you inventory rather than building. Maybe they don’t want people ordering cars?

4) Why don’t we get the optional lane departure warning system if we get the optional proximity warning? Isn’t it using the same forward mounted camera anyway?

5) Speaking of question 4, what are all the blank buttons for by your right knee? I imagine the two options from question 4 fit there?

6) Park Sensors seemed to be an option for 2016 for the Coupe. I never saw one in the US with them however. Was it never officially orderable and they dropped the option?

7) You said you can’t order the red with the red tridon/grill because they don’t match. Isn’t that the same case for the matte white paint with the whit tridon/grill? Isn’t one matte and one shiny-hence different finishes? And that combination is orderable.

8) Why is the tachometer/clock optional on the automatic for 2017? It seems strange that it would be standard, but then optional if you get the auto. I get that you need it for shifting the manual, but then why isn’t it standard like it was in 2016? Maybe make it only optional on the passion.

9) Is this the final option list for a 2017 Prime Cabriolet:?
a. Metallic Paint
b. Twinmatic
c. Tachometer/Clock
d. Phone Cradle
e. Floor Trays
f. JBL Audio
g. Sport Pkg or Brabus Pkg
h. Proximity Warning
i. Armrest
Let me take a crack at it!

1) Yes, expect the smart Media-System to be widespread orderable towards the end of the year (as is a redesigned mount that will hold larger phones!).

2) There is no restriction on the white matte paint, those sources are misinformed. I believe what they meant was the blue and white interior upholstery is only available for proxy.

3) Very, very soon. The car launched earlier than expected, which is great, but the BYO timeline was then behind.

4) Issues with US compliance

5) Some are for systems we don't get in the US, like the auto/start stop system deactivation switch.

6) The option was communicated, but never built on US cars. Unfortunately dropped by HQ.

7) Only the case for red body/jupiter red tridion. Ever see a red car that's faded to pink in the sun? The red body panels look that way when paired with the darker jupiter red tridion. It's not as drastic with the white grille and white matte body. If people ordered a red/red car, they would've been upset by what was delivered.

8) Due to customer feedback that some people didn't like it. I still left it on manual cars because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of people rowing their own gears w/o tachometer information...

9) There is also the Lighting Package (only with passion) and Removable Wind-blocker.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is there an update on flat towing instructions for a smart 453, for higher speeds and longer distance driving?
Yes, we're working on updated Owner's Manual verbiage now but have let dealers know. Cars with the twinamic DCT automatic have been approved for flat-towing, and there is an approved process to get the cars in that mode. There is no speed or distance limit on that. This is for 2016 and 2017, coupe and cabrio.

Manual transmission 453s however are not approved for flat-tow and will be limited to the 30 miles at 30 mph guideline in the manual.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Yes, we're working on updated Owner's Manual verbiage now but have let dealers know. Cars with the twinamic DCT automatic have been approved for flat-towing, and there is an approved process to get the cars in that mode. There is no speed or distance limit on that. This is for 2016 and 2017, coupe and cabrio.

Manual transmission 453s however are not approved for flat-tow and will be limited to the 30 miles at 30 mph guideline in the manual.
Thank you! I was getting worried for a bit. :nerd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would be interested to know just many people complained about or didn't like a standard tach/clock unit with their new car. Since it is still standard on manual transmission models, is the price of the automatic-equipped cars reduced by any amount for 2017 to account for the missing (formerly standard) instrument? I suspect not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me take a crack at it!

1) Yes, expect the smart Media-System to be widespread orderable towards the end of the year (as is a redesigned mount that will hold larger phones!).

2) There is no restriction on the white matte paint, those sources are misinformed. I believe what they meant was the blue and white interior upholstery is only available for proxy.

3) Very, very soon. The car launched earlier than expected, which is great, but the BYO timeline was then behind.

4) Issues with US compliance

5) Some are for systems we don't get in the US, like the auto/start stop system deactivation switch.

6) The option was communicated, but never built on US cars. Unfortunately dropped by HQ.

7) Only the case for red body/jupiter red tridion. Ever see a red car that's faded to pink in the sun? The red body panels look that way when paired with the darker jupiter red tridion. It's not as drastic with the white grille and white matte body. If people ordered a red/red car, they would've been upset by what was delivered.

8) Due to customer feedback that some people didn't like it. I still left it on manual cars because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of people rowing their own gears w/o tachometer information...

9) There is also the Lighting Package (only with passion) and Removable Wind-blocker.

Wow you have blown me away with your meticulous and timely answers. Thank you so much! I'm glad that the matte white is available on the prime cabriolet, and that you can get the matte white with the glossy tridon/grill and it looks okay! Can't wait to see it on the configurator! I messed around with the canadian configurator which is up just to get an idea ;)

Btw: I feel like the tach should be no charge- Just seems silly to charge for it when you option up the twinmatic, and by making it no charge you still appease to the ones who don't want it on the auto.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have the clock/tach of my 2016 Passion 6 spd and appreciate it. Not to have one on a 2017 and to have to pay extra would be a disappointment. I certainly wasn't one to suggest it's removal on the "automatic". You still have the option to rev the engine in manual mode and it's nice to watch the tach and use it as an indicator for upshifting/downshifting. My 2013 Passion lease car did not have the tach and I wasn't feeling like spending the $ on an option I would leave when turning in the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow you have blown me away with your meticulous and timely answers. Thank you so much! I'm glad that the matte white is available on the prime cabriolet, and that you can get the matte white with the glossy tridon/grill and it looks okay! Can't wait to see it on the configurator! I messed around with the canadian configurator which is up just to get an idea ;)

Btw: I feel like the tach should be no charge- Just seems silly to charge for it when you option up the twinmatic, and by making it no charge you still appease to the ones who don't want it on the auto.
Always happy to get smart answers to you guys! Good call with the Canadian site. We are developing our own which is very different than the rest of the world, hence the delay. I'm told soon... (but many of us here know what that means in my world)

5) You're right, there would be 5 buttons, one of which being the hatch release. The rotary knob in that image is Euro-spec only and allows you to adjust the height of your headlight beams. The US has more stringent lighting laws than the EU, so that panel doesn't make it to us.

8)Pricing is always challenging and not as straightforward as it seems. Some things I can't give away :D Do keep in mind we avoided a year-to-year MSRP increase!

9) Yes it is! It is option code X16 and is only $50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Always happy to get smart answers to you guys! Good call with the Canadian site. We are developing our own which is very different than the rest of the world, hence the delay. I'm told soon... (but many of us here know what that means in my world)

5) You're right, there would be 5 buttons, one of which being the hatch release. The rotary knob in that image is Euro-spec only and allows you to adjust the height of your headlight beams. The US has more stringent lighting laws than the EU, so that panel doesn't make it to us.

8)Pricing is always challenging and not as straightforward as it seems. Some things I can't give away :D Do keep in mind we avoided a year-to-year MSRP increase!

9) Yes it is! It is option code X16 and is only $50.

Does that mean you guys are developing an updated version of the configurator, or just changing the options etc to fit the us offerings? Also, can you provide me with the price of the smart media system? Also.. You rock! Oh yeah, and:

5) I get that the rotary knob is for the manual leveling lights in europe, but then where would the fifth button go in europe? I feel like there would not be enough room is all I'm saying. In the US, we get the 5 button setup (even if they only have buttons for the hatch and the proximity warning option in the us).

8) I see now why the tach costs extra. Clever ;).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does that mean you guys are developing an updated version of the configurator, or just changing the options etc to fit the us offerings? Also, can you provide me with the price of the smart media system? Also.. You rock! Oh yeah, and:

5) I get that the rotary knob is for the manual leveling lights in europe, but then where would the fifth button go in europe? I feel like there would not be enough room is all I'm saying. In the US, we get the 5 button setup (even if they only have buttons for the hatch and the proximity warning option in the us).

8) I see now why the tach costs extra. Clever ;).
Brand new version! Won't look a thing like Canada's, it'll be much more detailed and display larger. Not official yet, but expect it to be in the $1,200 - $1,300 range.

5) Apologies, I misunderstood. Yes, that's where the 5th button would go.

8) ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brand new version! Won't look a thing like Canada's, it'll be much more detailed and display larger. Not official yet, but expect it to be in the $1,200 - $1,300 range.

5) Apologies, I misunderstood. Yes, that's where the 5th button would go.

8) ;)

That is seriously exciting about the configurator! As someone who buys multiple cars a year, I need to be able to visualize my creation ahead of time!

That sounds good on the media pricing since I believe it was $1,300 on the 2016 coupe. I really like the smart media option for a few reasons: I like the eco monitor, and I like the smart hub under the armrest where I can hide my thumb drive.

When will the 2017 brochure be out?

5) No worries! So that means they would not get the leveling lights anymore? I know that I'm harping on this, but there was a similar situation with the Porsche Cayenne, and they wound up having situations where they could not fit all the buttons for all of the options on the hybrid version! Always interesting to see rare situations like that and how the manufacturer deals with them ;) I can't imagine there are too many with all 5 buttons is all I'm saying..

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is seriously exciting about the configurator! As someone who buys multiple cars a year, I need to be able to visualize my creation ahead of time!

That sounds good on the media pricing since I believe it was $1,300 on the 2016 coupe. I really like the smart media option for a few reasons: I like the eco monitor, and I like the smart hub under the armrest where I can hide my thumb drive.

When will the 2017 brochure be out?

5) No worries! So that means they would not get the leveling lights anymore? I know that I'm harping on this, but there was a similar situation with the Porsche Cayenne, and they wound up having situations where they could not fit all the buttons for all of the options on the hybrid version! Always interesting to see rare situations like that and how the manufacturer deals with them ;) I can't imagine there are too many with all 5 buttons is all I'm saying..
Not sure on the 2017 brochure timeline.

5) They actually lose out on the rear hatch release button! So they only have two ways to release the hatch; long press on the key icon or the button on the hatch itself.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Waiting in Seattle !!
Can you give any time frame on doing software updates for units sitting on docks in LA ?
We are waiting for delivery of Passion/orange/blk.

Thanks for your time and effort you put into posting.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts