Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Why did smart switch the raw (pre-painted) molded panel color from black to white for all 453s that get a metallic finish? Some have commented that any rock chips and scratches are more visible with a white substrate.
Shhhhh ... that raw white is the only reason the gauges in my Moon White Matte hood are barely noticeable! (That being said, I'm finding it virtually impossible to find anyone who will paint just a hood for me so that I can have my little Zebra looking fine again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For cabrio in general? Aiming for late June pending EPA certification! Dealers can already order you a car.
Keith, Thanks for your reply. 1. Can dealers give me pricing yet or are they still in the dark?
2. If the car doesn't achieve EPA certification do I get my $$$ back. The second question is supposed to be a joke!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
That is/was the BRABUS Sport Package - not the same as the EU BRABUS with the uprated engine, just as the 453 with the Sport Package is not the same as the new 453 109 hp BRABUS the EU folks are getting. Horsepower counts with these small engines. :)
Yes, I agree. But *something* is better than nothing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's one way to look at it; my view is why won't smart give USA and Canadian owners the same options as the rest of the world gets? :)
U.S. regulations on everything from safety to telecommunications make for some interesting obstacles... it's not that we dont like you guys :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
U.S. regulations on everything from safety to telecommunications make for some interesting obstacles... it's not that we dont like you guys :shrug:
I get the different regulations part, but in spite of that many cars made in other countries are certified for sale here with adjustable steering columns, integrated telematics and adjustable seat belt anchor points. If those companies can do it..... :shrug:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I get the different regulations part, but in spite of that many cars made in other countries are certified for sale here with adjustable steering columns, integrated telematics and adjustable seat belt anchor points. If those companies can do it..... :shrug:
It just takes us longer for some items. Realistically, the fortwo is one of the lowest volume production cars on the US market, and we don't even rank in the top 10 smart markets in the world. We're actually very close to opening the smart Media-System for the US, so we do make progress on these restrictions, but we're a small operation here. I will say having feedback from the forums helps us immensely in these cases, so thank you all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It just takes us longer for some items. Realistically, the fortwo is one of the lowest volume production cars on the US market, and we don't even rank in the top 10 smart markets in the world. We're actually very close to opening the smart Media-System for the US, so we do make progress on these restrictions, but we're a small operation here. I will say having feedback from the forums helps us immensely in these cases, so thank you all.
Yeah, I have to take Keith's side here. All that engineering and retrofitting costs money, and Smart's potential customer base here in the US is so small [sic], that I have to believe that folding those costs into the car's sales price would price it out of its intended market.

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Sure; my only thought is smart was working on the 453 as early as 2009 when Dave Schembri mentioned (at the first OutSMARTing the Dragon) we could expect a 451 replacement in 2014. These cars don't appear overnight and Mercedes is well aware of US market requirements since they manage to get their larger cars certified here with all the bells and whistles.

Not worth obsessing over, but I know I'd appreciate a shot at a smart with all the options available in other markets. As it stands, with no 453 BRABUS offered here, our 2011 451 is going to soldier on.

Keith, it may not sound like it but I do appreciate your willingness to jump into the fray and become a part of the SCoA family - thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Oil type, or more specifically Mercedes oil spec? I'm very concerned with what is in the manual, particularly the one everyone has access to on the smart website. Kind of important for those who do their own service...

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Oil type, or more specifically Mercedes oil spec? I'm very concerned with what is in the manual, particularly the one everyone has access to on the smart website. Kind of important for those who do their own service...
It's pretty clear. Where's the confusion?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No, that's on the way.
in regards to the early cutoff when filling the tank.... how "on the way" is it? Basically ready to be fixed? Have to take my 453 for it's first oil change soon.... would love to not have to worry about taking it for an hour drive AGAIN in the very near future if at all possible.

And i have three questions for you as well... though i'm not sure if you'll be able to answer the first....

1) Is there any update to the Smart Connect app in the works that might somehow allow the app to detect and control playback of music stored on a USB flash drive inserted in the radio?

2) Where is the amplifier for the JBL sound system located in the car? I know some manufacturers do crazy stuff like putting it by the kick panel in the passenger foot well by the passenger door.

3) How hard might it be to get to the horn to replace/upgrade it? For how little people actually pay attention when they're driving, would be nice to have a horn that can GET their attention.... if you know what i mean. ;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
OOH, and another question i though of. I know other people here have encountered it before, but any idea why every once in a while when you turn the key to start the 453, you need to let it crank for a couple seconds before it finally starts up?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
OOH, and another question i though of. I know other people here have encountered it before, but any idea why every once in a while when you turn the key to start the 453, you need to let it crank for a couple seconds before it finally starts up?
If you're referring to the changes in the ignition switch, the smart 451 had one of those easy start ignitions. The smart 453 does not. That's the easy answer. If you're referring to engine startup...

A turbo engine starting a touch slower than a naturally aspirated counterpart is actually quite normal.

21 - 40 of 214 Posts