Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Any updates on a 453 bike rack, or is getting a hitch installed the best solution? This is a deciding factor for me to buy this car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any updates on a 453 bike rack, or is getting a hitch installed the best solution? This is a deciding factor for me to buy this car.
Sure; my only thought is smart was working on the 453 as early as 2009 when Dave Schembri mentioned (at the first OutSMARTing the Dragon) we could expect a 451 replacement in 2014. These cars don't appear overnight and Mercedes is well aware of US market requirements since they manage to get their larger cars certified here with all the bells and whistles.

Not worth obsessing over, but I know I'd appreciate a shot at a smart with all the options available in other markets. As it stands, with no 453 BRABUS offered here, our 2011 451 is going to soldier on.

Keith, it may not sound like it but I do appreciate your willingness to jump into the fray and become a part of the SCoA family - thanks! :)
I appreciate everyone letting me come in and being a part of it! I know I don't always have the answers we all want to hear, but believe me I'm listening to what is wanted and pushing for it! We're so close on a couple of items you wouldn't believe it (but some things I can't share :D).

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Keith's official 453 Q & A thread ;)

Before I forget...

1. The ambient light package should include a tiny light for the ignition key hole.

2. The front console cupholders should have a tiny pass-through just wide enough to hold/store a phone.

3. Bins/holders should have grippy inserts to help keep things from rattling.

4. The vinyl and velcro strip on the cargo cover (behind the seat backs) should attach to the vertical carpeted area adjacent to the floor of the car behind the seats – not to the floor of the cargo area – to give a couple of inches of extra trunk depth.

5. Why do the LED driving lights dim when the headlights are set to automatic on/off, even when it's daytime and the headlights aren't on? The only way to set the driving lights to bright is to forgo the automatic headlight setting.

6. Why no two-setting seat heater? Cost?

7. Why are the large and very useful seatback pockets being eliminated? Cost? I'd rather lose the saggy/baggy/fugly net (but keep the vinyl separator).

8. How about an IFE (Instant fuel economy) readout on the main screen, rather than just on one of the toggled screens? I'd like to monitor my real-time economy all the time.

9. The seatbelt regularly slips out of its seatback guide, requiring reinserting it about 10% of the time. Maybe there's a better design solution?

Thanks for passing on these suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Before I forget...

1. The ambient light package should include a tiny light for the ignition key hole.

2. <snip>

4. The vinyl and velcro strip on the cargo cover (behind the seat backs) should attach to the vertical carpeted area adjacent to the floor of the car behind the seats – not to the floor of the cargo area – to give a couple of inches of extra trunk depth.

5. Why do the LED driving lights dim when the headlights are set to automatic on/off, even when it's daytime and the headlights aren't on? The only way to set the driving lights to bright is to forgo the automatic headlight setting.

7. Why are the large and very useful seatback pockets being eliminated? Cost? I'd rather lose the saggy/baggy/fugly net (but keep the vinyl separator).

8. <snip>

9. <snip>

10. <snip>

Right on Steven! (the suggestions that I left up) :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Before I forget...

2. The front console cupholders should have a tiny pass-through just wide enough to hold/store a phone.

8. How about an IFE (Instant fuel economy) readout on the main screen, rather than just on one of the toggled screens? I'd like to monitor my real-time economy all the time.

9. The seatbelt regularly slips out of its seatback guide, requiring reinserting it about 10% of the time. Maybe there's a better design solution?

Nos. 2 and 9 were items I identified in my JDPower survey. (Well, for 2, I didn't refer specifically to the cup holders, but rather to the fact that there was no place to put a cell phone unless you opted to purchase the way-too-expensive-and-not-very-functional phone holder).

Also, the headlamps should go on automatically when the wipers do -- and most states in the US require lights on when wipers are on. Now, maybe the daytime running lights are sufficient, but I'm not waiting to get a ticket to find out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I haven't really taken the time to stare at my LED driving lights during the daytime to see if they're on the brighter or dimmer setting.... but are you sure they just don't LOOK dimmer during the day because of... you know... "ambient lighting situations"?

smartAPM said:
I appreciate everyone letting me come in and being a part of it!
And we're thankful for that. :)

But while we're on the subject of lighting... i'm curious as to why there seems to be no way to have the fog lights remember their previous state. I like having the fogs on at night when my low beams are on (Liked it even more in the 451 when they could be on with the high's), even if it's not actually foggy, for that extra bit of side-of-the-road illumination, but it's annoying to have to keep turning them back on every time after i turn the high beams off. Even just flashing the highs kicks them off til you turn them back on.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I haven't really taken the time to stare at my LED driving lights during the daytime to see if they're on the brighter or dimmer setting.... but are you sure they just don't LOOK dimmer during the day because of... you know... "ambient lighting situations"?
My observation is that when the sunlight is out, the LED DRLs are on maximum brightness. When sundown is occurring, and when dark, the LED DRLs automatically dim when on the auto setting.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well.... i'm pretty sure they auto-dim in low/no light they dim simply because they can be quite blinding by themselves. Wouldn't want to have them on perma-bright and keep getting flashed by people because they think your highs are on or something.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
229.51 is oil marketed as for diesels with DPF. BEVO lists 229.5 for the M 281. They are almost mutually exclusive specs...
Mobil 1 lists the MB spec that it meets or exceeds on the back of the container. It's no secret that Mobil 1 is recommended. Do you have a sticker in your engine area with the "Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil 1"(?).

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Mobil 1 lists the MB spec that it meets or exceeds on the back of the container. It's no secret that Mobil 1 is recommended. Do you have a sticker in your engine area with the "Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil 1"(?).
Which one? The W123, W126, W201, W204, or S212, or/and if you count smart, C451? Next time you're at Walmart, please pick me up some Penrite, as it is readily available, or have a pallet shipped from Australia next time you go there.

Sorry if I share my hard time spent research. I won't anymore.

How many different engines are on your lot? There are 14 on "mine". The closest thing I have to the same engine is an N54 and is it N55? I have the responsibility of watching 2 BMWs, 2 Cadillacs, 1 Ford, 1 Lexus, 5 Mercedes, 1 smart, and 2 Toyotas.

(Are you the king of the oils? You said I am).

I only asked for the spec for others' reference.... I did not mention any brands. I'm actually an Amsoil dealer. Bought the 10 yr plan....

Next time you go to Walmart go look at the back of the oil containers and figure out which is correct for a car. It won't tell you anything but a spec, except maybe if you find "Nissan GT-R". But you already know...

41 - 60 of 214 Posts