Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whoa whoa, the 451 BRABUS suspension and wheel package makes a difference over the stock models. I have a repeat client who owns multiple AMG Mercedes-Benz models, as well as multiple Porsche models who believes his smart BRABUS suspension is stiffer than his Porsche 911 Carrera's. He loves it. So do I. While I would love a BRABUS performance engine, I'm not in agreement that the U.S. BRABUS smarts are in name only...

Edit: I also own multiple smarts, including an '09 BRABUS cabriolet.
The upcoming Brabus Smart is an appearance package.

Despite the TV spots in Germany expressing how fast it is, it's just a few stickers and logos.

·
Super Moderator
28,765 Posts
The upcoming Brabus Smart is an appearance package.

Despite the TV spots in Germany expressing how fast it is, it's just a few stickers and logos.
? The 453 BRABUS, just like the 450 and 451 BRABUS models, will have an uprated engine. None of those was offered in the US or Canada. What we got was the 451 BRABUS sport package, which did include unique badging and a BRABUS decal on the gas cap. The EU 453 BRABUS engine is rated at 109 hp. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Keith,

Tridion Cell Inquiry
I've seen the new Tridion Cell color options to be offered on the upcoming Cabio. Will the new colors also be offered on the 453 Coupe? (like Lava Orange Metallic, Jupiter Red, or Graphite Grey Matte). Any timeframe when available?

I've put off my 453 Coupe order because I simply have not fallen in love with any of the current color offerings. I feel even more underwhelmed with the interior color options.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Keith,

Tridion Cell Inquiry
I've seen the new Tridion Cell color options to be offered on the upcoming Cabio. Will the new colors also be offered on the 453 Coupe? (like Lava Orange Metallic, Jupiter Red, or Graphite Grey Matte). Any timeframe when available?

I've put off my 453 Coupe order because I simply have not fallen in love with any of the current color offerings. I feel even more underwhelmed with the interior color options.
Hello!

Yes, Lava Orange, Jupiter Red and Graphite Grey Matte will all be available on the MY17 453 coupe. We'lll see a 2017 coupe closer to fall. Interior choices will remain the same however.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Seems logical enough, except that Euro-market smarts have engines built in… Europe. Wouldn't make much sense to source US-market engines elsewhere.
Ah Europe....the land of more HP and less pollution equipment. The US.....
market loses out.

It seems like a load of decisions smart has made lately do not make much sense.......

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Seems logical enough, except that Euro-market smarts have engines built in… Europe. Wouldn't make much sense to source US-market engines elsewhere.
There were three or so different variations of the M 281 engine when I tried to find the 453 engine designation. Possibly the US variant does come from Japan? (I know that Volvo makes different models in different countries as my wife researched possibly taking advantage of their European Delivery
Program).

Ah Europe....the land of more HP and less pollution equipment. The US.....
market loses out.

It seems like a load of decisions smart has made lately do not make much sense.......
Don't feel too bad. I'm always taking a peek at car stuff, even when we were in Europe last summer. I can tell you this, a litre of oil there in a gas station/rest stop, was at one place at least 20 Euros, if not 30. I was so tempted to take a picture. (I'm upset I can't find it on my phone's gallery)! All the driveways were absolutely spotless. (Too costly to allow an oil leak to persist I guess). We were also at a restaurant and 0.5 L of drinking water was 5 Euro. It was more expensive than soda or even wine. You couldn't ask for a glass of water at most places either. (I don't think they are having water issues). Gas there wasn't cheap relatively. (I guess it was nice to shop with VAT already added. My son definitely liked not having to worry about calculating tax when buying something).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just like in the US it depends on where you are at I moved from Nashville, TN to Tilburg in the Netherlands. It is the 6th largest city in the Netherlands and so it is fr from a small town but the overall cost of living here is considerably less than it was in Nashville. Groceries are vastly cheaper, rent averages less over here, utilities are cheaper, but one of the big differences is something you referenced, the cost of car ownership. Owning a car over here is much more expensive than in the US, fuel is higher, the cars themselves sell for more, and the annual taxes on cars would blow your mind. The thing is that cars are pretty much luxury items over here because unlike the US most people here don't need to own a car. The public transportation system is so good that a car would be a waste of money for me and so I save a ton of money by not having one, something that would really not be an option in the US. Both paces have their pros and cons, and of course you really can't talk about Europe as a single place, I live very close to the Belgium border and not terribly far from Germany. Cross either of these borders and it is like being on a different planet. So no reason to be jealous of Europe, I mean you can't buy microwave corn dogs over here and the Dutch version of Netflix sucks compared to the American one :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just like in the US it depends on where you are at I moved from Nashville, TN to Tilburg in the Netherlands. It is the 6th largest city in the Netherlands and so it is fr from a small town but the overall cost of living here is considerably less than it was in Nashville. Groceries are vastly cheaper, rent averages less over here, utilities are cheaper, but one of the big differences is something you referenced, the cost of car ownership. Owning a car over here is much more expensive than in the US, fuel is higher, the cars themselves sell for more, and the annual taxes on cars would blow your mind. The thing is that cars are pretty much luxury items over here because unlike the US most people here don't need to own a car. The public transportation system is so good that a car would be a waste of money for me and so I save a ton of money by not having one, something that would really not be an option in the US. Both paces have their pros and cons, and of course you really can't talk about Europe as a single place, I live very close to the Belgium border and not terribly far from Germany. Cross either of these borders and it is like being on a different planet. So no reason to be jealous of Europe, I mean you can't buy microwave corn dogs over here and the Dutch version of Netflix sucks compared to the American one :)
Having lived in Europe for 20 yrs I can relate. p.s. my nephew was a professor at the U of Tilburg, nice city.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Hello fellow Nashvillian (I'm a native)! I agree about cost of living, amazing to see how much it's boomed and increased over the past five years. I live in Atlanta now, so Nashville is still cheaper, but not by much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow! I am a native Nashvillian too! We go back a couple of times a year and it just keeps getting bigger and more expensive. We still have a home in Madison and it looks like prices are even starting to go up there. Of course after spending a little bit of time in London it changed my idea about what "expensive" means, so take heart, Atlanta is still dirt cheap compared to London :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Keith

I have had my 453 in the shop twice because the radio will not display the name of the song being played when using media. The media I am using is the same memory stick and media that worked perfectly in my 2013 pure and it works perfectly in my 2014 Kia Sportage. The tech says the radio is working correctly but I suspect the radio has bad firmware.

Have there been other complaints about this problem?

Thanks,

Roy

61 - 80 of 214 Posts