Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Kenwood 5120 with nav and bluetooth (installed by dealer before I got the car). Just got the xm sat radio interface and universal rear view camera accessories for it. Anyone else add these items? I need some insight on where to put the camera and antenna, how to run the wires. Would love to do it myself to save $$, but I've never done anything like that and am kind of afraid of pulling apart panels or something in order to run the wires. Any suggestions (and pics!) are welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had mine done professionally . They mounted the xm antenna under the black plastic where the windshiel wipers are and easily fed it through the passenger door opening and behind the dash. They mounted the cam to the left of the license plate light and ran the wires under the carpet and up through the dash. They ran the bluetooth mic near the rearview mirror and ran the wires down the a piller to behind the dash. Make sure you get the bluetooth upgrade on the Kenwood web site that came out a few days ago otherwise there are major bluetooth problems. It has to be loaded from a computer that has bluetooth. I will try to send pics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info--pics would be great. They already installed the BT at dealership and I probably won't use it...I prefer my headset, so I can keep talking when I get out of the car and there is no lag when trying to answer it.

Care to tell me about what your install cost (without the hardware)?

·
Banned
5,086 Posts
i agree with you "Trena" as i probably wouldn't have much use for the built-in BT as i use my headset too. might be nice on a 'long trip' but then again, just how many 'long trips' are you going to take in a smart car?

guess if i were single, i would be driving all over the place, but if the wife and myself decided to take off in ours (won't have it until NEXT summer) there would be no room for 'our' luggage. of course by 'our's i mean HERS! i could probably stuff MINE in the glove box.......:D

and BTW, welcome to the "Indiana Smarties" chapter........:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I started to install mine yesterday on my 5120, but I need to figure out how o get it out of the car =), I think I need a special tool for each side of the radio. Does anyone have any experience with removing the 5120 from the smart?

If I can get this thing out I wil try to post some install pics of the bt adapter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto, mane3215!

Napoleon12, thanks for the pic, but 2 didn't come through... Do you have the cabrio? and where did you run the wires each step of the way?

Thanks for the welcome, MENSA42!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to go off topic, so I apoligize, but where did your dealer mount your mic? I am thinking up by the driver sun visor. Have you updated the firmware on your unit? I understand it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I actually like the bluetooth option a lot. I had it installed on my VW (and plan on my smart when I get it). The two big advantages are: 1) Incoming calls knock down stereo (only one thing to do) 2) Stereo sounds better without that silly plug in your ear. On the downside, the one I have in VW, people talking to me can definitely tell I'm on a speaker phone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mane', they put the mike on top of the rearview mirror stalk, where it blends in and looks great.

sk8', my prius' built-in BT sucked. it had such a lag that people would sometimes hang up before i could get connected, and the answer button was on the steering wheel! crazy. also, i like to be able to keep talking as i exit the car without going thru the motions to get the call transferred to the cell. also with a cabrio... i kind of think the speaker so far away would be worthless when i have the top down. as it is now, using my little earpiece, i already must have the windows rolled up even at low speeds in order for people to hear me over the wind noise. :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trena,

So after all of that debate about portable nav units you got a car with the Kenwood built in! :)

Glad you go the car and a Kenwood. I am pretty happy with mine.

For the folks asking about the extractor tool when I installed my radio I just used the standard 4 screws which held the factory radio. Did you remove these and try to pull the radio out?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, ironic, huh? And now I'm spending even MORE money to add the accessories I want...oh well, I got my car fast!

I haven't tried anything yet...still kind of scared, as I've never installed anything like that before. I'm afraid to start tearing the car apart or finding ways to run wires. Although, the pics in the link posted were great. I'm back to work this week, so kind of busy again until weekend, but I want to get out there and look the car over and see what I think. I think I keep hoping that someone I know will know how to do this kind of thing and offer to do it for me! :D I met a friend of a friend over the weekend who is an electrical engineer and offered to do it...the next time he's up from Tennessee!!! That could be weeks... so hopefully I will get the courage to try it maybe this weekend.

p.s. The Garmin system in the Kenwood is sooooo much better already than whatever I had in my Prius! Love it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the folks asking about the extractor tool when I installed my radio I just used the standard 4 screws which held the factory radio. Did you remove these and try to pull the radio out?
Exactly what I did, worked like a charm, and gives more room to work behind the radio!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts