Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've called Smart Dealership and they want $300 to replace my key and program it. They want $125 to program it.

I live in Austin.

Does anyone know of any alternative choices I have for this? Does any place do program? Is there a manual for how I can program it myself?

I'm also bringing in car for repair on a few things:
1) Windshield washer fluid doesn't shoot with enough pressure to reach windshield.
2) Replace white piece on the passenger door hinge. It's plastic and it broke off.
3) I ran over a speed bump that was unmarked and now I'm getting a rattling noise during driving. I believe it's a loose exhaust or muffler pipe.

Any help on these?

·
Registered
274 Posts
You may be able to find a blank KeyFOB online... ebay or such... but you're going to have to get the dealer to program it... it requires the computer system.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
You might try SOS Diagnostics, I believe they can set up a key for you but not sure where they have locations for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only received one key with my used Smart, and the dealer quoted me a $300 price also. I did see some key fobs on eBay for $75, but if you bought one, had it programmed , and it didn't work, you would be out $200.

I'm in Texas, too, but a lot farther south.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an update on mine after spending a week in the Smart dealership in Georgetown.

The windshield washer issue was pinched tubing (Smart dealer fixed free of charge)
The loud noise was a loose bracer bar. (Smart dealer re-torqued free of charge)
The key fob cost me $265 (with key and installation; about $100 was installation)
The door hinge replacement cost me about $245 (parts and labor)

My smart is back and working well and so happy about it. Dealer offered me a discount because they had issues getting parts, which required them to keep my car for a week.

They gave me a loaner of a 2014 Smart Fortwo Pure, which I enjoyed driving, but not near as much as my passion cabrio.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's an update on mine after spending a week in the Smart dealership in Georgetown.

The windshield washer issue was pinched tubing (Smart dealer fixed free of charge)
The loud noise was a loose bracer bar. (Smart dealer re-torqued free of charge)
The key fob cost me $265 (with key and installation; about $100 was installation)
The door hinge replacement cost me about $245 (parts and labor)

My smart is back and working well and so happy about it. Dealer offered me a discount because they had issues getting parts, which required them to keep my car for a week.

They gave me a loaner of a 2014 Smart Fortwo Pure, which I enjoyed driving, but not near as much as my passion cabrio.
good to hear everything is fixed, last time I took in the car for warranty work they gave me a 2014 C250 as a loaner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts