Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park in a parking garage at work and have had an issue with unlocking the car from a distance in the parking garage. But once I get closer, I can unlock the car with the fob.

But this morning my fob wouldn't lock the car. I did the safety triangle locking trick outlined at Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia and I can get in through the trunk (unlock with the key). But I cannot disable the immobilizer. None of the the three buttons do their function (lock, unlock, pop rear hatch).

I'm going to get a new battery at lunch and try that. But I never saw the 9 flashes, it worked fine last night and this morning. The car sits in my garage and I unlocked it from inside my house.

Is it possible that there is a deadzone in the garage? Would it be worth it to move the car by pushing it to try to unlock it?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
If the battery is dead in your fob for more then a few minutes it will no longer communicate with the SAM. A STAR machine will be needed to link the fob to the SAM again.

Hopefully you have a second fob, you might wish to put a new battery in it right away.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
If the battery is dead in your fob for more then a few minutes it will no longer communicate with the SAM. A STAR machine will be needed to link the fob to the SAM again.

Hopefully you have a second fob, you might wish to put a new battery in it right away.
WOW :wow: good to know !!!!

Thanks Huronlad :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Actually the battery in the fab us for the lock and alarm. The car will start with your key with the fab battery dead or removed.
I know this because I lost one of my keys and was unwilling to spend the time or money for the dealer to replace the key. I found a local locksmith that programmed a new key to start the car, no lock function and a spare key blade that I can use to manually unlock the car.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Actually the battery in the fab us for the lock and alarm. The car will start with your key with the fab battery dead or removed.
I know this because I lost one of my keys and was unwilling to spend the time or money for the dealer to replace the key. I found a local locksmith that programmed a new key to start the car, no lock function and a spare key blade that I can use to manually unlock the car.
Might work for a 451 but pretty sure not so much for the 450. Having to constantly get into the car through the back hatch would be annoying enough to justify getting the fob linked back to the SAM.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A little long so highlights have been bolded.

Thanks Huronlad. I did read the horror stories of two minutes or it loses programming. My fob battery was weak enough that is was not locking or unlocking the car. As such the immobilizer engaged and would not turn off. I left the fob together until I could get a new battery.

At lunch I went to RadioShack, bought a CR1225 (enercell brand), replaced it with the old one (so simple!) and was not able to test it out until at least 1.5 hours later. SUCCESS! The fob had not lost its programming/pairing with the car. I think the trick is to not remove the battery from the fob until you have its replacement and can do the swap.

But here is the strange thing. It had been at least 6 hours since I discovered the fob would not lock or unlock the car. It worked at home to get in and drive to work. When I got to work 30 minutes later and tried to lock the car, thats when the fob refused to work.

So maybe every 450 should see this post, rush out and get CR1225 battery for their fob(s) and replace them now? Maybe every second or fourth oil change is a good time? I never saw the 9 flashes so maybe a routine maintenance schedule item could be just replace the battery?

Another point I just remembered. The first Tail of the Dragon run (2009, 2010?) Glen and I shared a little multi-room thing (which is how/where I met Huronlad). Glen did the battery replacement in one of my fobs as wel as shaved down the lock button underside so it wouldn't be pressed from being in my pocket. Thats when I last changed the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smart fortwo passion immobilzer

I have a smart fortwo passion. I temporary removed the car battery to use on another car.
But when I put the car battery back in my smart car. The doors lock and unlock fine. But the
immobilizer has lost the key code to make the immobilizer work.

I know its possible to put the code back in the mobilizer if you do things in the correct order.

But I have lost details of how to do this.

I know a dealer can fix this if I pay for the car to be taken to a dealer. I know the can be done
without any cost. Does anyone know have to do this

Best Wishes .. David 07804828434

·
Registered
493 Posts
my 450 has a distance issue... if I am over 30 ft from the car , mine wont work...sometimes it does, most it dont...HOWEVER.. I learned from a friend a trick and it sounds stupid, but it works.. BTW my Eldorado has similar distance problem, and this trick increases the distance by 3X... try it..

This is what you do, place the FOB against your chin, Key facing your car, open your jaw and press UNLOCK then LOCK .. do this from a distance and experiment until it will not work. note the distance... now try it without the "trick", and note the difference... you will be surprized.. it uses the resonance of your skull as an antenna so Im told..

I didnt believe myself, and my wife thought i was LOONY for doing it but..., try it and post your results on this thread.

Steveg. 05 450 Cabrio , S. Mann

1 - 12 of 12 Posts