Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck here at work, I went to unlock my car, but nothing would happen. Wouldn't lock, unlock, panic wouldn't work. Finally figured out how to open it with the key itself. Put key in ignition, accessory panel shows a digital key where the P is supposed to be.

Called dealer in Chandler who says it has to be towed. Great 6:00, service closes at 6:00 and so does Enterprise.

Any one else had a similar problem.

Frustrated!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm stuck here at work, I went to unlock my car, but nothing would happen. Wouldn't lock, unlock, panic wouldn't work. Finally figured out how to open it with the key itself. Put key in ignition, accessory panel shows a digital key where the P is supposed to be.

Called dealer in Chandler who says it has to be towed. Great 6:00, service closes at 6:00 and so does Enterprise.

Any one else had a similar problem.

Frustrated!!!
The code was lost for that key. Try your second key

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Code was lost?

So how do I get another code? Would installing a new battery on the key itself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
try a new battery. If that does not work call service. They will have or get a new key. The car has to be at the dealer to program the key.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Reads like a dead battery in the "fob". As redbluff wrote: try the second key. And change the battery in the first one. Keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I take my key OUT of my pocket and try (habit to break) to not put it IN my pocket

Reason.... second day walking to the car it was chirping and flashing just about every Right foot step I took...

Seems in a tight pocket the large raised button is real easy to trigger...

I can see how up at my desk a block away my key was draining the battery from being pushed on and off all day long...

Mine still works so bat still good BUT I be life of it is much shorter now...

I am still slogging through the damned small print a very lengthy owners manual...I did not notice... if we change battery do we need to re code the key back to the car?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I take my key OUT of my pocket and try (habit to break) to not put it IN my pocket

Reason.... second day walking to the car it was chirping and flashing just about every Right foot step I took...

Seems in a tight pocket the large raised button is real easy to trigger...

I can see how up at my desk a block away my key was draining the battery from being pushed on and off all day long...

Mine still works so bat still good BUT I be life of it is much shorter now...

I am still slogging through the damned small print a very lengthy owners manual...I did not notice... if we change battery do we need to re code the key back to the car?
Think it is part of the immobilizer function. Keys are matched sets and require activation from "mother" to work. So dealer only keys, don't loose one they are not cheap.
karl

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
[...].

The manual (pages 252-3) doesn't say anything about codes. But it says that when the remote triggers multiple flashings, it's time to change the battery.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had the same problem as Fred so I hooked my keys outside my pocket and one day I noticed the red lock button was torn off. The red rubber button must have rubbed/caught on something and torn the sucker right off. It didn't take much to fix. I found that a BB fit down in the fob on the micro switch. On top of that I put a bit of foam torn from the bottom of my favorite koozie. Then wrapped it all with black pvc tape and it work as good as new now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Key Fob

Bought a new battery, key still doesn't work. Guess I'll have to call dealer and see if they can reprogram it or if they can tell me what to do.

Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Humm...I guess the Key battery replacement at one of the dealer services is timed so the key can be re-coded by the dealer...

I am swamped so starting to get a long list of crap to research...some where in here (on web sites) is a step by step process to re-code a key..... probably by Kane//AKA Evilution that I am sure relates to the 450 model but probably is similar or same sequence for us

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to me. It's a simple fix but expensive if you don't know it. Take the plug out of passenger side key insert on the door. Insert key, turn key anticlockwise then press the 'lock' button on your key. The lights will flash and this will reset you key. Key should work again after that x

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow! This is something new I have never heard of before.
What exactly was the problem you had, that this procedure corrected?
I have one key that while it will lock/unlock the car, it will not start it.... could this procedure be for me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts