Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car unlocked OK. Put key in ignition, it will not turn or come out again. Battery in key is pretty new. Gear in Park. With foot on brake the gear lever will not move either.
Am thinking maybe the computer is not accepting code to turn key, but the key DID open the door. Any ideas?
At present I have a hair dryer heating it.
Here it is minus 18 degrees centigrade. The car has a block heater on it and trickle charger on it to stop battery freezing.:(

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Car unlocked OK. Put key in ignition, it will not turn or come out again. Battery in key is pretty new. Gear in Park. With foot on brake the gear lever will not move either.
Am thinking maybe the computer is not accepting code to turn key, but the key DID open the door. Any ideas?
At present I have a hair dryer heating it.
Here it is minus 18 degrees centigrade. The car has a block heater on it and trickle charger on it to stop battery freezing.:(
That is strange - almost like the ignition switch was frozen...? :shrug:
I had this exact same thing happen about 4 years ago....the lock DID freeze and I just thawed it with alcohol and sprayed some superlube and have not had any problems since :)

·
17,380 Posts
Some mornings, my key has to be forced into the ignition. Kinda sad we're losing the central key with the 453...Thanks GM...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts