Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not found anything recent that covers my problem so I will have to ask the experts. I have a 2009 Passion and the fob will not lock the doors anymore. It unlocks and starts the car fine but I have to get my wifes key to lock the doors. I think the electronics went south on me because I can hear the micro switch click when I press the button but no locking. The battery is new in the fob. Where is the best place to get a new key? I see new blanks online for $25 but how do I get it cut and programmed? Can't imagine the dealer would be real happy if I walk in and hand him a key and ask for it to be programmed and cut. What is the solution?
Thanks.
Brad

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Key and remote (fob) need to be programmed with a STARR computer which is a Mercedes Benz unit. I would try a new battery in the remote and see if it helps. Cheaper than a remote plus programming.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Since you already put new batteries in the key. It might be the vehicles receiver that went bad. We just had another car, that had a bad receiver. It was under warranty. New keys didn’t make a difference. Tried a new set. Replace the receiver. Bingo!

New keys will cost you. Plus the smart dealership will have to program them. Not sure about $25 keys. You still have to have it program to your car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swapped the battery and it still does not lock the car. It unlocks and starts it but no unlock. Looking for suggestions on what to do next and where to get the key if a new one is needed.

Brad

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I swapped the battery and it still does not lock the car. It unlocks and starts it but no unlock. Looking for suggestions on what to do next and where to get the key if a new one is needed.

Brad
Does it do that with both your keys do that?The smart MB dealership carries them. You have to buy them in pairs, and then they programmed /linked them to your car.

You might just just have a software glitch. Run it by a dealership first before spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wifes key works fine. That is how I'm locking the car. The locking on my fob is the only thing that does not work.
Any other suggestions than go to smart for a new one? Does anyone do this besides the dealers?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,936 Posts
Any other suggestions than go to smart for a new one?
Are your rubber covers (Control Panel) old/worn out, they may not be pushing the button in?

Open the FOB and try to push the naked button that you see as dead. If it works, order a couple replacement covers.

Note that there are two styles, 3 or 4 button...

Control Panel 451-820-01-90

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have not found anything recent that covers my problem so I will have to ask the experts. I have a 2009 Passion and the fob will not lock the doors anymore. It unlocks and starts the car fine but I have to get my wifes key to lock the doors. I think the electronics went south on me because I can hear the micro switch click when I press the button but no locking. The battery is new in the fob. Where is the best place to get a new key? I see new blanks online for $25 but how do I get it cut and programmed? Can't imagine the dealer would be real happy if I walk in and hand him a key and ask for it to be programmed and cut. What is the solution?
Thanks.
Brad
Brad, I have read your original post and understand the problem.
Your FOB has a New Battery as you posted in your first post. Still doesn't LOCK the car, but unlocks and starts the car.
Your wife's FOB Locks, unlocks and starts the car. Everything seem good in the car.
I also think there is a problem with your FOB.
Now as far as a mail order FOB. I have one. Bought it for around $25 on line. Easy Peasy. Picture below of my key.
Found a locksmith who could cut My key and Program it for $125 paid up front, NO GUARANTEE IT WOULD WORK.
OR
For $160 the locksmith would supply the key cut and program it and GUARANTEE IT TO WORK.
Finding an Independent locksmith with a computer that will program the key to the car was the hard part.

I also visited Fletcher Jones Imports and got their price for a New Key, Cutting and Programing $425.

Plz keep us updated on your progress.
JL :smartje.bl.zl:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK, here is one more thing to try... use both keys for this, that is keep both keys in your hand.
Use good key to unlock, enter car, and relock/unlock a few times. Lock again, and switch to the faulty key and try the same.
I know it is a communication thing, and read some where that a key that is out of touch with the car for an extended time, can loose its comm.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since your wife's works and yours doesn't it does seem like everything is OK except your fob. As MB DNA suggests, a new fob, or just a fob shell, should fix things. I bought one online because the button covers were ripping, The fob still functioned. I got the new shell and just used the top half to replace the top half of the original fob. It worked OK.

I had a similar problem with a key fob for another car. In that case, the problem was a bad connection. The inside of the fob button was originally coated with graphite so that when the button was pressed, a circuit was completed to send a signal to the receiver in the car. The graphite was worn off so that the circuit was not being completed. Based on a suggestion, I glued some aluminum foil to the inside of the fob at the place corresponding to the non-working tab. That fixed the problem. I don't remember if the smart fob uses that method to close the circuit, but if it does you might be able to do the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts