Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only Smart key stopped working today. I went to the grocery store and came out and tried to start the car and it flashed a key icon on the display and refused to start.

I tried a new battery with no luck. Am I going to have to wait until Monday and go to the dealership for a re-program or is it possible this is some other issue?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Try disconnecting the smart car battery (under passenger floor) NEG terminal, for about 15 min.

Reconnect and see if it "wakes" up the computer?

Also, didn't you get 2 keys with your car? Try the other one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try disconnecting the smart car battery (under passenger floor) NEG terminal, for about 15 min.

Reconnect and see if it "wakes" up the computer?

Also, didn't you get 2 keys with your car? Try the other one?
bought it second hand so i just have the one. i'll try the battery trick, thanks.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
I think a new key, is about 160 bucks, plus the dealer has to program it. Can you still start the car with the key? You can pull the drivers side door plug out to lock, and unlock the door. That's if you don't want to spend the bucks on a new key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a new key, is about 160 bucks, plus the dealer has to program it. Can you still start the car with the key? You can pull the drivers side door plug out to lock, and unlock the door. That's if you don't want to spend the bucks on a new key.
i can still unlock and lock the vehicle. the ignition will not engage though it makes a sound like it's about to turn but never gets there and the key symbol flashes

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,951 Posts
I checked my OWNERS MANUAL, it says....

Possible cause
The electronic imobilizer is not working.

Possible solution
Have the system checked at an authorized smart center.

·
Registered
268 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the key error was a red herring. the car wouldn't start because there wasn't enough juice in the battery - a whole other problem. CAA (AAA but for Canadians) did a battery test for me and it turns out my alternator or wiring is to blame, as the battery was not collecting from the charging system. he boosted me and the car ran fine, but without 12.6V running to the starter, the car won't start on its own.

the key error is stupid. i wish it could have been a battery light on the dash so i would have known what was going on.

the fortwo is now at the mechanic i'll update with what he says he can do for me.

thank you to everyone who contributed to this with key suggestions though! hopefully someone else with this problem in the future sees this thread and saves the time i wasted.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
You have to drop the engine a bit or at least undo an engine mount or two to even get at the smart alternator. So the labour charge is intense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts