Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strange - when I insert the key in the ignition and go to the ON position, I get a key symbol in the dash display instead of an "N" for neutral. And the car won't start. This key had worked fine for about 5 months. I tried using my spare key and it worked fine. Then I went back to the original key and still had the same problem. I've read in other forums that this has to do with the immobilizer and actually found some instructions on how to fix it, but it didn't do the trick. The key works fine to lock and unlock the car.

I've read hints about how removing the battery from the key fob for over 2 minutes messes up the system. This may have happened at some point (kids). Any ideas?

BTW, I've got a 2004 ForFour. Sorry, but this is the closest forum I could find. I figure the key system's probably the same as in the ForTwo.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
i work for a Mopar dealer and i know our Sentry Keys 'can' lose their programming from time to time. doesn't happen very often, but it HAS happened. this is what i think happened to YOUR key, especially since you said your spare key works, but not the one you've been using.

the 'lock and unlock' function is the only thing that works off of the battery. the key itself has a chip in it that communicates with the immobilizer unit. for some reason, the immobilizer is no longer recognizing that particular key.

like "spikey01" said, you may have to contact someone that handles parts and service for the 450's and ForFour's. you may have to purchase a new key and have it programmed to your car, which sounds VERY expensive to me.....GOOD LUCK!:)

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
BTW, I've got a 2004 ForFour. Sorry, but this is the closest forum I could find. I figure the key system's probably the same as in the ForTwo.
So, the closest you could find was a forum based on the other side of the world in a country that doesn't even have the car:confused::p

Try here.
ForFourowner.com • Index page

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the closest you could find was a forum based on the other side of the world in a country that doesn't even have the car

Yep - that's right. I'd already checked the site you mentioned (Evilution)before coming over here but the solution it described didn't do the job.:cool:

Besides, I'm an American. I just happen to be stationed over here for a couple of years. And no other country is as resourceful.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Let's see what we can figure out...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had taken out my scangauge II off my smart a month ago. Today, I hooked it back on into the OBDII slot. The key wasn't in the ignition yet, however, the scangauge lit up as if the car was running. I put the key in, turned it into the first slot as I always do to get the ECU loaded up. On comes the key symbol! First time it happened.

I tried ignition, there was nothing. So, I turned the key back to zero position, took it out, and placed it back in. This time, the P symbol appeared, and the engine ignited normally, and the scangauge read fine after I'd input smart's specs in.

I had driven the car minutes earlier, to the PO, with no incident. It's prolly the scangauge hook-up that confused the ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts