Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was away on a road trip last weekend, i noticed 2x there was an upside down key symbol showing on my dashboard. The sign didn't blink nor it had warning color, so what i did was take off my house keys and key chain off my car key.
Then next morning, I had issue inserting my car key. I cleaned the built up dirt (my dog's fur, my son's crumbles, god knows) , and tried again. It worked. I had bit issue tryibg to take off my key a few times after, but it has been working back to normal now.
Do i need to worry about this issue and take my smartie to dealership? I jhvae a smartcar coupe 2013. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When i was away on a road trip last weekend, i noticed 2x there was an upside down key symbol showing on my dashboard. The sign didn't blink nor it had warning color, so what i did was take off my house keys and key chain off my car key.
Then next morning, I had issue inserting my car key. I cleaned the built up dirt (my dog's fur, my son's crumbles, god knows) , and tried again. It worked. I had bit issue tryibg to take off my key a few times after, but it has been working back to normal now.
Do i need to worry about this issue and take my smartie to dealership? I jhvae a smartcar coupe 2013. Thank you in advance!
Could be some gunk in there. Try a bit of wd 40 sprayed into the key opening. It'll get gunk out and loosen the tumblers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,833 Posts
The "upside down key symbol" means:
The electronic immobilizer is not working.
X Have the system checked at an authorized smart center.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WD-40 is a combination solvent and light lubricant. Google WD-40. There are thousands of uses for this product. It should free up the tumblers in your ignition switch. I would also place a vacuum hose over the switch and see if you can pull any debris out that has fallen down the key slot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts