Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my '08 passion and the key will not turn in the ignition. I have replaced the battery, and it will still not turn. The car locks/unlocks and radio work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried putting in a new battery, used both keys which will unlock/lock. But the key will not turn, will try wd40

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Probably stupid: is the gearshift really in "P", or could the peg that immobilizes the car in "P" be stuck (the car on an incline)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No beeping not on an incline, car seems to be in "P" i can press the break, but still can not turn the key. This has been going on since Friday. ugghh

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Make sure there is no foreign matter in the keyway to prevent the key from being inserted fully. Try wiggling the gear shifter forward and back while attempting to turn the key. Try some liquid lock lube in the keyway and work the key in and out a few times, then retry. Use a long plastic object, like a plastic ink pen, to rattle the lock cylinder. Put the end of the pen on the lock cylinder beside the keyway and have a helper tap on the end of the pen gently with something solid while you try to turn the key. If none of that works, pick the car up, shake it violently and give it a stern talking-to.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ignition Lock Cylinder:

I always place the suction hose from my shop vac. over the lock cylinder to hopefully remove any fod that may have fallen in there.

Remember the old saying, "Prevention is worth a pound of cure".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK key goes all the way down, nothing inside. Put silicon spray still no help. Any other ideas? I really would like to turn it upside down now and shake the little bugger.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK key goes all the way down, nothing inside. Put silicon spray still no help. Any other ideas? I really would like to turn it upside down now and shake the little bugger.
Get a few neighbors over and do it. Might be fun. Take lots of photos. :D

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
try pushing on the car front or rear to put pressure on the locking pin. did you try and pull the yellow lever on the floor under the shifter?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
There is an interlock mechanism between the ignition tumbler and shifter linkage... Most likely will require a visit to the dealer... :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I had flipped the yellow switch on Monday morning, still the key did not turn. I had sprayed lubricant and checked for pebbles/stuff in tumbler. Nothing, tried again on this morning....Nothing. Came back from lunch sat down in the seat and it turned right over???
What do people do if this is the only car they drive? I have a big F250 as my spare vehicle. I really would not be happy if it left me stranded somewhere....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What do people do if this is the only car they drive?
I've only had a smart for over 5 years. I've never had a time where it's stranded me. I had a Saturn for 14 years before that, and it stranded me at least 3 times. I've never heard of this issue on any other smart. It could have been just about anything... I'd still say take it in and have it looked at, since you're still not sure what went wrong with it.

As for what happens if your only car, of any make, has some weird, random, one-off problem? The same thing it would for any make/model. Any car can have a random one-off issue.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
So I had flipped the yellow switch on Monday morning, still the key did not turn. I had sprayed lubricant and checked for pebbles/stuff in tumbler. Nothing, tried again on this morning....Nothing. Came back from lunch sat down in the seat and it turned right over???
What do people do if this is the only car they drive? I have a big F250 as my spare vehicle. I really would not be happy if it left me stranded somewhere....
Sometimes it just takes time for penetrating lubricant to find the right spot!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts