Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought our 2010 Pure home a few days ago, got it for a really good price because it had a few issues - one of those issues being that it only had one key (that happens a lot from the sounds of it). So far I've found a locksmith that can supply me with just a key with programming (no remote) for $225, or I can purchase a key and remote online for about $120 and pay the locksmith $180 to cut and program it.

Are these prices in line with everyone elses experience, or should I keep looking? I'm northwest of Atlanta in case anyone can point me to somewhere that I can get a better deal nearby. (If just the darned keys are this expensive I'm starting to wonder what we've gotten ourselves into).

thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
that sounds high, my local dealership had quoted 225 for a new key with remote and the programming. I don't think they have "valet" keys for the smart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds high, my local dealership had quoted 225 for a new key with remote and the programming.....

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm waiting to hear back from the closest dealer, hopefully they'll be less than these locksmiths. Unfortunately that dealer is a bit out of the way for us.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I had to replace a key back in 08. The dealer made me buy the fob and two keys blanks and come in to have it programmed. Well twice actually they didn't get it done the first time. Parts labor all told over $350. at the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems a bit High, I just got a new smart about 2 weeks ago and one of my questions was what if i need a new key I was quoted $125 ish cut/programmed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems a bit High, I just got a new smart about 2 weeks ago and one of my questions was what if i need a new key I was quoted $125 ish cut/programmed.
$125 wouldn't hurt nearly as bad. I wonder if it's high around here because the locksmiths and dealers can simply get away with charging more since there are only 2 dealers in the state (that I've found anyway).

·
Registered
39 Posts
$125 wouldn't hurt nearly as bad. I wonder if it's high around here because the locksmiths and dealers can simply get away with charging more since there are only 2 dealers in the state (that I've found anyway).
Yeah I'm in chicagoland area we have 3 within an hour, and maybe anther 5 MBs

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here's my two cents based on experience. Note that some of this may have changed since last fall. You can't "reprogram" an old key. Once programmed it's based on the original car it was intended for. There are many "blank" keys for sale out there with blank shafts (un-routed-just smooth) I've yet to see a "blank" not programmed circuit board included with the key. It's either the electronics from another car (un-programmable) or just a shell with no electronic guts.
And in any event it's the programming, not the hardware, that you are really paying for. You have to have at least one key to get another (at the dealership) programmed. Lose both keys and they have to install a new SAM unit in your car. Don't ask how much THAT will cost. People talk about how they "had to come back again". Yep. That's because the dealership has to take information from your car, fax, smoke signal, call, whatever, either Smartville or somewhere almost as exotic to get a code, a number, or a magic word to reprogram your smartie to accept the blank key (which they also charge for). You come back the next day and they do the actual programming.
You can get up to 3?-4? keys at a time
The point of all this is keys, keys, keys......the real crux is that MB hold the cards in reprogramming any keys and they have the electronics that work for those keys. Again, things may have changed. If so, ah..never mind.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts